122,640 Hours | Teen Ink

122,640 Hours

October 24, 2019
By sophia.gabrielle BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
sophia.gabrielle BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

The baggy brown colored eyes of a distressed man in his late 20’s sitting in the hospital wait room, his thumbs twiddling and constantly watching as the seconds tick by. He looked up to see a grayed haired woman in a white coat in her early 50’s just the expression on her face showed lamentation. She spoke softly as he wept as if he already knew what had happened. “Mr. James your wife…” she had stop talking for a solid minute trying to hold back the inevitable tears “she… she passed while giving birth to your daughter.” His tired eyes shed a tear as the doctor had walked away wiping away her own.   


This couple wasn't ordinary, plain nor normal. They knew each other 122,640 hours. One thousand twenty two six hundred and forty hours each hour spent was full of friendship, fighting or laughing. So where does this him 14 years and all these hours gone because of this baby. This baby that was supposed to be the best thing for their new founded family. This baby that they were supposed to raise together in their rinky dink house, happy and settled.        

       

  Liam James had no clue where the time had gone it had felt like just yesterday it was a plain old September day in 2004 his Sophomore year of highschool. He would spot her across the cafeteria with her black hair in a knot talking to her friends with no absolute clue that she was looking at him too. On the bus rides home he would try to spark a conversation out of thin air, but it would never work. He almost always made it sound rude. When he didn't she was always charmed, except on some days they had a feud. This was because he would make fun of her, but all he meant to do was compliment her. What he never knew was the fact that this girl he so deeply loved was just as much in love with him. They would have their daily spats, their weekly bike rides and their everyday glances. It wasn't until Junior year they had started dating.

 

He stayed at the hospital until the time came to take home Amelia. Amelia the girl that broke his heart and took away the love of his life; his very own child. But who would he be if her resented her. He wouldn't be the man the girl of his dreams fell in love with the very first day he met her. He got to his small house full of memories. He put Amelia in her crib, walked over to the living room and popped in a cd. The tv displayed poor video quality it was a video of their senior prom.
He remembers that night like it was yesterday. He remembers that they barely got to dance because she was always by the buffet. He remembers that was the first time he said I love you but he knew he loved her the first day he met her. It was a night full of endless hopes, dreams and love. Her head rested on his shoulder and her eyes looked into his and he knew he found the one girl that made him the happiest man alive.

A few days later it was the time he dreaded most the love of his life’s funeral. He got up to the podium straightened his tie and his heart beating out of his chest. He began to say her eulogy “Most people would say at first glance she was a woman who came who lived who died. But to me she was so much more. She had a way with words that you just couldn’t shake and a smile that would light up a room in the worst times. She knew everything about me good and bad. But i don’t want to remember her as my wife that died I want to remember her as the woman who i fought for the woman who accomplished everything she wanted to. She was the love of my life and she would smile down on us and laugh that i’m balling my eyes out Her final moments weren’t that great but it’s all about the moments leading up to it that matter most. We met in 8th grade and we absolutely hated each other but she was my best friend and I wish I loved her sooner. Her name was Sabrina. The Sabrina with jet set black hair. Th Sabrina who I secretly looked at across the crowded cafeteria and I had no clue she was looking at me to. We knew each other 122,640 hours.


The author's comments:

This piece is about losing someone we all love dearly and the wave of nostalgia that washes over you when their gone. It’s important cherish those around you and that what this piece is all about.