The Love of a Past Life | Teen Ink

The Love of a Past Life

May 7, 2019
By Viggy BRONZE, Cerritos, California
Viggy BRONZE, Cerritos, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“T-minus one hour, ladies!” yelled one of the bridesmaids.

It was finally the day Emma had been waiting for. She was going to get married to Jesse. But, while putting the final touches on her hair and makeup there was a loud thud at the door.

“Em! Em! We need to talk! Open up, I know you’re in there!” exclaimed an all too familiar voice.

Emma began to panic and thought to herself Why is she here? What does she want? She hesitated as to whether or not she should answer the door or have one of the bridesmaids deal with it. As she thought, the thud persisted.

“Open the door, Em! Please, I just want to talk.” pleaded the voice.

“I’ll deal with her, don’t worry,” said the bridesmaid.

“No no, it’s okay. Just open the door and give us a minute alone.”

The bridesmaids did as they were told and in walked Victoria. Tension filled the room and an awkward silence hung in the air.

“Victoria, what are you doing here? You weren’t invited.”

“I just had to see you before you went through with this. Em, he’s not the one. You and I are meant to be together.JJust give me another chance. I won’t mess it up this time, promise.”

“Whoa! What? Where is this coming from? We haven’t dated in like years. I’ve moved on and you need to too. I’m marrying Jesse and that’s that. Please leave.”

“Em, we haven’t dated in 342 days. I counted every single one regretting what I have done and I want to get back with you. Please come back to me, you’re the only one for me.”

“No Victoria, I’m happy with Jesse. He’s the love of my life and I want to be with him. You need to move on.”

“I can’t. I still love you and I promise I’ve changed. Just give me another chance.”

“I think you should leave. We broke up for a reason. The wedding is starting soon and I need to finish getting ready.”

“Em, please don’t do this to me. I’ve changed, I swear. I’m not the same person I was back then. I am in an alcoholic anonymous club, I haven’t been partying as much and staying home just thinking of how I could treat you better.”  

“Really? You did all of that? I don’t believe it. All you did when were dating was just go out was just drink and party and after only a year you’re saying you changed. N-”

“You don’t get it. I just need one more chance. I need to prove to you that I’ve changed. You need you to believe me, I know I did all this terrible shit and you truly did deserve better, but now I am that better than you deserve. I will give you everything you want and be your best girlfriend. I can’t go on without you anymore and I’m sorry for how I treated you but I know now I can treat you better. Emma, please come back to my life. These past three hundred and some odd days have been terrible without you. I just want to be with you.” !” she said with tears streaming down her face.

“ Listen, it’s great that you say that you changed your ways and are better now, but you’re not the one for me. Jesse is the one for me and he’s the one I want to marry. I can’t have you trying to wreck that. If you truly loved me, you’d leave me alone and move on.”

“No! Em, I cannot do that. You need to get out of this wedding as soon as possible and be with the changed me.”

“Look, it’s great that you say that you changed your ways and are better now, but I’m not the one for you and you’re not the one for me. Jesse is the one for me and he’s the one I want to marry. I can’t have you trying to wreck that. If you truly loved me, you’d leave me alone and move on.”

“You need to understand. Listen to me! I have changed, I am not that type of girl anymore!”

“No, stop! Listen to me for once. All you did was come home late at night smelling of f**king vodka and weed and telling me how great this party was while I was at home just worried sick about you and your health. You also never answered your phone when while I always answered yours because you know what I loved you but you never loved me,” Emma screamed as rage filled her face and tears started forming in her eyes.

“ No! Just leave, Victoria!” yelled Emma. “You need to get out of here.”

The bridesmaids had been waiting outside, with ears pushed to the wall. They decided it was finally time to step in. They opened the door and told Victoria to leave.

“Emma no. Don’t do this to me. I love you, can’t you see that?” she yelled as the bridesmaids escorted her out the door.

“I’m sorry, Victoria,” Emma said as she turned away, with tears streaming down her face messing up all her makeup.

“Goodbye.”


 


The author's comments:

I was able to let my mind run free and think about what I want in life through the life of Emma