Piano Man | Teen Ink

Piano Man

By clairebecca PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
clairebecca PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

The Piano Man

James holds a hazelnut latte in one hand and Charlotte’s hand in the other, running his finger over her soft heartlines. As the fall leaves crunch beneath their boots, the two stroll down the sidewalk with a tinge of pink upon their cheeks, letting the cool breeze brush against their skin. Charlotte smiles as they walk inside their favorite place, a cozy music shop with fairy lights strung on the rooftop and polished instruments showcased in the window.

Immediately, the couple makes their way to the maze of grand pianos all the way in the back of the store. Each one is worth thousands of dollars, just a little over the budget of two high school seniors, but they’re astonishing. The lavishing colors of black and white keys glisten in the warmth of the store. James sits down on the bench of a maple piano engraved in gold and hands Charlotte his coffee, gazing at her with his sunlight-soaked brown eyes. “Any requests?”

Charlotte tucks a lock of hair behind her ear. “Do you know my favorite song?”

“Of course I do.” James grins and kisses her hand. He then closes his eyes, and his fingers waltz on the keys as he plays one of Billy Joel’s greatest hits. The melody sounds like an arrangement of twinkling stars, each note crystallizing in mid-air, and the meticulous rhythms burst with sparks, brightening Charlotte’s face. She notices a blooming warmth growing in her heart as she watches James’s smile grow wider and wider with each note. As he continues playing, she takes a sip of his coffee and beams.

Astronium said...
Astronium, St. Helena, California
Sing us a song you're the piano man sing us a song tonight