Reflection of Roses

The rose. It was supposed to be a sign of love. But not for her.

What was love? Just a silly idea? A silly emotion? Either way, it was silly. She didn’t believe in it. If it was true, then why were there divorces? Why was this world filled with sadness? Why were all her tears…reflections of that rose?

A rose of a broken promise. Broken, over and over again. Valerie had had plenty of experiences with boyfriends. Clingy ones. Jealous ones. Bad ones. Good ones. But they all had something in common, for her anyway. They all dumped her, breaking their promises.

They stole her kisses, and her chocolates on Valentine’s Day. They stole her friends, and they even stole her from the world. Why? She didn’t know. But every one had broken their promise of “I love you.”

And then Chase came along. “He has to be different,” She thought.

They hung out. They dated. They kissed. They laughed. They loved. He gave her a single red rose. “This one has to be different,” She kept repeating in her mind.

But he just broke her heart like all the rest. He dumped her. He quit talking to her. He dated her best friend. He was a player, like all the rest.

Valerie gave up. True love didn’t exist for her. Just a broken heart and a broken rose.

She walked down the sidewalk. What was love? Was it hate? But suddenly, she saw a couple. A married couple.

It was a frizzy-haired woman and a tall man. They pushed a stroller. They laughed together. They held hands. They consoled each other. They looked lovingly at each other and their baby.

And there was something about their eyes that struck her. There was a different sparkle within, something she had never seen before. The couple walked by, happy as ever, retaining that sparkle.

She kept walking, squeezing the rose in her hand until the thorns on the stem dug into her palm.

And she came across another couple. They were old. White clouds sat on their heads and wrinkles covered their body. They were arguing. Valerie watched with horror as they fought, wondering what could have caused such a rampage.

But slowly, the two cooled down. They hugged. They kissed. And then she saw it. A mysterious sparkle in their eyes.

And she knew what it was. It was the reflection of a rose. The sign of true love, despite the quarrel earlier. She began to cry. Her tears reflected the rose.

There had to be true love out there.

Saint_that_Sins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
so so true...She should never have doubted it in the first place :) Very nice writing! Keep it up!

polyprincess16 said...
this was cute but also realistic because you see love in some of the randomest places, and it is hard, though not impossible, to find it when your young and immature.

misssabrina said...
You are a good writter, i enjoyed your writting.

melone96 said...
i like this one! great writing!!

writergirl13 said...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 8:26 am
lol! Are you sure we haven't met?? The girl's name is my name too, and i feel the exact same way about love: it doesn't exist in school!! it's possible to find it later, when you're older and more mature, but not in middle school and high school. good piece!

!!Sooners!!RoxURound said...
I like the style of your story it's the strongest part of your story. Also like the metophor of this story. you know the reflction of the rose.

ClockworkLightbulb said...
This is amazing, the style it was written in was really different to a lot of stories out there and it was just really good.

hotpink13 said...
omg i love it it brought me to tears i can totally identify with the girl

amorey5 said...
Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:42 am
this was great, i understand the trouble of the girl. i loved it!

xxkennedyxx013 said...
Jan. 28, 2010 at 8:37 am
you are a great writer(: i love the "a mysterious sparkle in their eyes" idk i jsut love it.

erika4964 said...
That was so beautiful in that one little story it touched my heart and made me cry. Keep writing becuase you are going to be a good writer one day.

M&M4ever said...
Its beautifully written .. i love it[=

Cassandra said...
Nov. 23, 2009 at 9:29 am
Manificent.