The Galxies, The Girl, and the Insignifgance of Us All | Teen Ink

The Galxies, The Girl, and the Insignifgance of Us All

By the.undying.girl PLATINUM, Palmetto Bay, Florida
the.undying.girl PLATINUM, Palmetto Bay, Florida

"Life is not measured in the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"" -anonymous

If there was anything more beautiful than her I didn't want to know. She seemed to bask in the glow of the floodlights of my patio like stardust cascading from the heavens. Her hair was jet black and wound in bouncing, booming curls; they danced and jingled as she turned her head towards me. She looked at me with inquisitive eyes. She could stare into my soul, I wouldn't even care.
        God, those eyes. They were a hidden world. At first glance you’d notice nothing, just dark irises to match the pupils, but as you went deeper, you’d could see the galaxy she hid in them. It was a galaxy filled with stars, planets, nebulas, comets; you name it, they were there. They were one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. I couldn't help but stare into them, ever longing to get a closer look, but never courageous enough to try. She focused her eyes on mine. “What?” She giggled.     

I wanted to replay everything about that moment over and over again in my mind. Her laugh like a thousand bells on a wind chime echoed through my mind. Her smile, with her teeth like diamonds and lips like baby pink rose petals resting on her mocha skin gleamed in my eyes. all I wanted to do was kiss her, but I could never. I couldn't even touch her. Fear and nervousness and, something else I couldn't quite pinpoint, paralyzed me. But no matter that, I had to tell her something before she got suspicious. I broke our gaze and looked up at the sky.
      "Space.” I replied, monotone and blank, hoping that'd steer her away from my inquiring yes of a few moments past. It was a half-truth; I was thinking about the galaxies in her eyes. She followed suit and craned her neck up towards the stars. She scooted a little closer to me, her hand so close to mine, our fingertips just out of reach of the other’s.
        “What about space?” she asked softly, her voice light and airy like a breeze blowing through a cornfield on a warm spring day. She tilted her head towards mine. It made me anxious. Did she want to put her head on my shoulder, or was she just doing this out of a force of habit? Either was fine, honestly someone just tell me. That's all l wanted. I didn't want to make a wrong move; I didn't want to ruin whatever I had.
       “It’s just, we think of the world relative to us, y'know? There's so much out there we could be seeing and exploring but we only focus on what’s in front of us, what we can see from where we sit, and that's not a lot in the big scheme of things.” What was I saying. I was going to ruin my chance by acting pretentious and she’d never want to hear from me again. But, that didn't happen. That’s not at all what happened.
        Instead, she looked at me with those same inquisitive eyes, but there was something in them I could quite pinpoint, I knew it was exactly what I couldn't pinpoint in myself. She grabbed my hand with both of hers, one under and one over. She sweetly smiled with her diamond teeth and her rose petal lips. She tilted her head and her dancing curls hung to one side, and in her voice like a breeze she told me “I see what you're saying, but sometimes we need to focus on what's near us; if not we might miss something right in front of our eyes. We’ll miss an opportunity we never knew we had.

“What do you mean by that?" I asked, like a complete idiot. I could feel her hesitate. She took a deep breath and grabbed my face in her hands and kissed me with all the emotion that was in her.

“I meant that.”