That Which Ripples | Teen Ink

That Which Ripples

December 11, 2018
By Anonymous

   Beating met my ears as I trailed along the sidewalk, today’s rumblings are particularly loud. With deluded tranquility, I move toward my destination, my friend Logram Diman’s apartment. Confrontation would be inevitable, even if I know he’s unwilling, I will not leave him behind just because we are uncomfortable about this. With these thoughts tumbling about, I arrive at his front door, where the dark wood of it almost forbids me from attempting to near it. Still, I raise my knuckles to tap on the door, yet, no response came in retaliation.

   With but a moment of respite to regain my courage, I rang the bell next to the doorknob, hoping that the quiet was not a deliberate act. Luckily, with a crash from the other side and some fumbling, the door gave out an ominous screech as it flung open. Logram was tall, nearly a foot more than I at 5’1”, and his firm stature was defined by his tanned skin, a couple shades darker than mine; his glittering sable eyes looking firmly at me. Almost crumbling beneath that gaze, I gave a short greeting, “How are you today Diman?”

   Wordlessly, Logram allowed me further into his lair, my shoes clacking on the hardwood flooring the entire time. Timidly, I trotted my way to the big leather chair in on the other side of the room as his bed, and I sat in it, despite it being a couple sizes too large. After far too long and much to my dismay, Logram sat on that stool across from me. Hiding my own anxiety, I gave him a small smile to break the ice. Logram continued to stare at me as he seemed to be thinking of what to say, while thankful that he would start the conversation, I am afraid that he might shun me immediately. However, my fear hadn’t come to pass as Logram, in his deep voice, said, “For what might be your purpose in visiting my humble abode, Bantel?”

   Sheepish, I restlessly shift in my seat; my heart was hammering against my chest, he could almost certainly hear it. Hesitantly, I brought my gaze towards his; how desperately I want to look away, but I cannot do so. I let a small whisper after I leaned forwards, “Logram Diman, I thought that I should see you.”

   Thankfully, Logram turned away and marched over to the water glass resting atop of his nightstand; it gave me some time to regain my fortitude. Quickly, that solitude fluttered away as Logram asked, “Well, Reizind Bantel, what might it be that worries you enough to greet me?” Of course he wants to avoid it.

   Our folly out of the way and having past regrets roll in my head, I gazed deeply at Logram. It was but a matter of time until this storm would spiral up; in a few moments he would speak up again to send the conversation awry. So, firm in my resolve, I spoke forcefully, “You’re being unreasonable Logram, this can’t go on any longer.”

   After that, the palpitations of my heart became a drawn out cry; he could definitely hear it screeching at his turned back. “Bantel, don’t do this,” he gave a brief pause before continuing further, ”I don’t want to talk about it.”

   Drilling resonated loudly as the world around us shifted. I shouted loudly as I could with my small frame, “Acting like this is not acceptable, keeping inside will do nothing!” With it, I gave an apprehensive sigh and stood up to match his bulky figure.

   Tumultuous winds licked at the sea; I rode along those hoping to find my destination along that far-off coast. Logram, mighty he may be, waited upon those shores, he stayed for me. Yet, I grasp at the air, that dark pit, and could feel myself sink as I tried to reach the light that danced along the stones. Tar-covered, a hand reached towards me within the depth that had been made of my own anguish; those rough hands twirled around and tore away the taint from my originally silver form.

   Overwhelmed, a shiver arose from my heart; soon that shiver became a tense hiccup and tears. Weaving my arms around Logram’s, my sniffles and crying started to wet his shirt. “Logram…”

   Logram’s form menaced no more, he stood here in my arms, and I fell in his. Ripples blasted through me as he raised his voice, ”Reizend… I…”

   Still, that ripple had now grown too strong as strength faded from me; the grip I had on him waned. No longer could I hold, as that terror came to consume us.


The author's comments:

This was a part of a prompt that I was given. This was the second perspective, the other one was of the other main character.