Top Voted Realistic Fiction

Here is the top voted realistic fiction:

voted
#1
Whimper Bang This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Wisps of smoke curled on themselves to form overdrawn punctuation over people’s heads. Catey frowned at Julia and said, “Put that out. You know I hate the smell of cigarettes.” Julia used her free hand to flick her brown hair out of her... (more »)
18 comments
voted
#2
P.S. Don't Save Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
A kid. That’s all I am to him: Trapped in my ­under-developed body. I want to scream, but my mouth is dry. *** His words drown together, lost somewhere between his mouth and my ear, until she nudges me. “… However, Ms. Lock, we... (more »)
610 comments
voted
#3
Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My... (more »)
764 comments
voted
#4
Wasted Away This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
She’s never been this cold before. Not the type of cold that aches in your feet and causes convulsions in your jaw; the type of cold that jams up your mind, like a song set on repeat with no power or volume dial to make it stop. Really cold.... (more »)
24 comments
voted
#5
Passing Cars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am standing on the corner, hesitant, waiting for the beauty that maybe will come for me. Vulnerable, perhaps, behind my black glasses and pearled ears, zits and braces. The cars whiz past me, carriages smoothly gliding, and I watch the people. I... (more »)
36 comments
voted
#6
The Thread This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The knitting club meets at the women’s center every ­Friday. Today they are working on ­pastel-colored baby socks. The women clink metal needles and grumble about their husbands, ex-husbands, and rheumatic pets. “Charlie forgot to... (more »)
55 comments
voted
#7
Time of Death This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The first death on your watch isn’t even your fault. You’re just one of the many interns who rush to the bedside when the code is called, peering at the doctors crowding around. As the patient gasps and chokes, you too gasp and choke as each... (more »)
292 comments
voted
#8
Shattered Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
He slowly turns the pliers in his hand, curling the wire around itself. With one last squeeze, the next piece of his beach glass mobile is complete. It sparkles as he holds it up to the sun and translucent brown, blue, and green dance across... (more »)
154 comments
voted
#9
Instances This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It took me 15 years and 364 days to turn 16, three tries to pass my driving test, and several months of nonsense to finally earn the right to drive on my own. It takes a song and a half to get out of the school’s hellish parking lot at the... (more »)
95 comments
voted
#10
Not That Cool This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
The final shot ricocheted off a tree. “No one showed up.” “It’s a Thursday. People are working late or studying.” “So should I just stick to Fridays from now on?” “I’ve gotta get going.” “Um, yeah, me too.... (more »)
120 comments
voted
#11
Casper and Mr. Ray This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The first officer is a detective from Madison – kind of makes me feel special, that he’d come all that way for me. His name is Bradish or Broadish, something like that, and I like him, but he makes me nervous. Mr. Ray had said that even if we... (more »)
27 comments
voted
#12
Monkey Bars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When we were younger, I remember sitting on the monkey bars in the snow. We took off our hats and scarves, one at a time, to see who was the strongest, the bravest. I always won because you’d freaked out when your hands stuck to the metal –... (more »)
52 comments
voted
#13
Driving Fast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It was 4:15 p.m., and we were going fast – 70 in a 45 zone. “I know the roads … don’t slow down,” I said. There was a red light ahead. So he slowed down. The car came to complete stop, the first in a long time. We haven’t wanted... (more »)
34 comments
voted
#14
The Bus Ride Home This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The steady hum of the bus wheels rolling on the smooth cement fills the emptiness between us. You keep looking out the window, Dad, not wanting to face me. You said weakness was a bad quality to show, that a man is not a man if he is weak. That's... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#15
Toy Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
“Why are you here, Vanessa?” asks the woman with the bun. Two blond ringlets fall behind her ears and I want to yank them, to see if they will straighten when you pull them. “I don’t know,” I mumble. She looks at me irritably, pen... (more »)
239 comments
voted
#16
Spargel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
There is only one word that I know how to say in German. Mappenklemmplatte. Binder clip. Why my father took this as a sign to pick up everything I knew – from my bed to my dog to my favorite pen to the “Our Happy Home” mat by the door... (more »)
145 comments