Robert and the Earthquake | Teen Ink

Robert and the Earthquake

By liam.v BRONZE, New York, New York
liam.v BRONZE, New York, New York

Robert was only six when the earthquake hit. He was walking to school when he saw a billboard, saying, “Donate now, to help victims from the Los Angeles Earthquake.” That got robert thinking, he was relieved it didn't hit him in San Francisco! “But wait”, Robert thought, “Maybe it could still hit him!” Robert bustled to school, but right as he walked through the door, he was reminded of the field trip he was going on, to the Los Angeles Science Center. This was where the earthquake happened! Robert was terrified,  but there was no turning back, he had to go forward. When the class got to the science center, they didn’t waste any time and immediately started to explore. There was a lot to look forward to, which helped take Robert’s mind off the earthquake, for now. His class started to split into groups, so they could divide and conquer. The first stop for Robert’s group was the obstacle course. Robert was so excited, and was the first to finish! Next, his group went to the anti-gravity simulator, where the goal was to reach the top first, like an astronaut when he has to fix the outside of a spaceship. Robert got third in this one, but he’ll take the bronze anyday. Last stop was the 4D Virtual Reality movie, which he didn’t know much about, because he wasn't really paying attention when the instructor was talking. The movie was talking about hurricanes, and then tsunamis. He guessed it was about natural disasters at this point. Then… the ground started rumbling, and Robert started to sweat, then he looked down and saw the ground start cracking…

For this piece, I was inspired by how advertisements can have a great impact on one's thoughts. In the story, Robert sees an advertisement asking for donations, to people who had been affected by a recent earthquake. He gets really nervous, but once he starts having fun, he forgets about it. Later on, however, there was a rumble in the ground, and then, the story ends.