Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

May 9, 2018
By ThirstierZebra21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
ThirstierZebra21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On the first day of high school, my palms were sweaty.  I had a nervous look on my face, and I felt flustered. This school was bigger than my last. There was an upstairs, a bunch of kids, and teachers outside their doors waiting for the kids to walk into their first class. My first class was English 9. I am not too keen on English, so I didn’t want to go. I walked around looking at signs to find where my first class was located. After finally, locating my class, I saw my teacher.


She was short with had brown hair, and bluish hazel eyes. When I walked  into her classroom, she had the biggest grin on her face. This made me feel like she was going to be an outgoing teacher. She looked as happy as a little kid. This made me feel a slight less nervous because she was excited to start teaching.  The first day of school was a blur. It was all syllabus and getting to know each other. As the weeks went on, my liking for Mrs. Carnell went up. I like Mrs. Carnell because she has always cared about my future. She had a passion for teaching. She was always kind, caring, and helpful. In her class, she pushed me to be the best me. She was the first English teacher to actually make me want to read a book. She always saw the good in me. I had her a two years later for composition. She was always letting me turn my work in later, she never got mad at me, and she always had compassion towards me. There was this one time where I was stuck on generating ideas, so she gave me extra time to work on it. This helped me because she believed me. She knew after a few times of trying, it would come to me. Mrs. Carnell taught me many lessons during my time with her, but the one that meant the most is that If I believe in myself others will believe in me too.


Overall, Mrs. Carnell is the one teacher throughout my high school experience enjoyable. She made high school experience the best it can be by pushing me to become a better writer and reader.