Kevin's Life | Teen Ink

Kevin's Life

May 8, 2018
By cdewall BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
cdewall BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My name is Kevin, I am 19 years old and I still live with my foster parents. Ever since I could remember they were always there for me and I thought that they were the greatest. But now my foster mom gave birth to my brother and he is quite annoying, always crying in the middle of the night or just throwing everything that he can get his hands on. But I’ve kinda faded into the shadows in my parents’ eyes. They kind of just stopped caring about anything that I did wrong, they will acknowledge when I do something cool or productive but they just don’t seem to care about me as much as they did before my brother was born.
What I have decided to do is to go out and look for my biological parents, one problem with that plan is that I know nothing about them. So I decide to ask my foster parents about them and to tell them that I am going to try and find my biological parents. I stumble across my mom so I decide to ask her first.
Kevin
Hey, mom.
Mom
What’s up, sweetie?
Kevin
I’ve decided that I want to know more about my biological parents and I’m hoping that you know something that could help me find them.
Mom
What made you want to know more about them?
Kevin
I’m not sure. I just woke up and felt like I should know more about who they are.
Mom
Well alright I guess it couldn’t hurt you to know who they are, except I don’t know anything that will help you, but I think that your dad might know something that could help you.
Kevin
You wouldn’t happen to know where he is would you?
Mom
I think that he is in the basement.
Kevin
Ok, thanks mom.

I run down to the basement and he’s just sitting there watching something on this old tv that we still have for some reason.
Kevin
Dad?
Dad
Yes?
Kevin
I’ve decided that I want to know more about my biological parents and mom said that you might know something that could help me find them.
Dad
Not sure why your mother would think that I would know something like that but I guess you could go to the adoption center and see if they keep track of who drops off each child, other than that I don’t know what’ll help you find them.
Kevin
Alright, good idea. I will go and check the adoption center.

So I hop in my car and drive straight there.
Kevin
Hey, miss I was adopted here about 16 years ago and I was wondering if you keep track of who drops off the children here. I say.
Lady at the counter
Actually we do keep that information, but I’m gonna need your name and something to prove that you are who you say you are. she says.

I guess it turns out that I am a Junior and he’s a Senior Kevin Jones. So I spend some time thinking about what I can do with some names and I realize that the internet exists so I go straight home and into my room and I search up the names and I find something.
I found Melissas’ myspace page and there were pictures there that showed me what she looks like. After checking out her myspace page for awhile I decide to move over to Kevins it was way harder to find anything about him because I just kept finding myself but I did end up finding his myspace page and there was an address on it. So I quickly search it up and find out that it’s an address in California. Which is great I found something that shows me where they might be living except I live in Florida and that’s quite far away, I also don’t have any money to pay for a plane ticket so I just laid in bed for awhile.
After some time I thought that I might as well try so I think of all of the possible ways to get enough money to pay for ticket. The ticket would cost about $400 and I have $0 so I’ve quite a ways to go but I thought I should start with asking my parents so I ask my mom first.
Kevin
Hey mom, I found out where my actual parents might still be living, but that’s in California and I don’t have any money to get a ticket over there so I was hoping that you could help me.
Mom
I guess that I could do that how much does the ticket cost?
Kevin
Four hundred dollars.
Mom
Wow, that is expensive! I can’t give you four hundred dollars, but I guess that I could give you something to help you out.
She looks in her purse for a minute then pulls out $100.
Kevin
Thank you so much mom this is gonna help so much.
So that helped a lot but I’m still not that close. I then start looking for jobs. It takes me a couple of days to get one for $10 an hour which isn’t bad but it’s gonna take me awhile to actually get paid. The place I got a job at was some random sandwich store in a mall. On the upside I only had to work about two hours every couple of days to get enough money and to wait until it was time to get paid.
About one month later I finally get paid so I instantly go and buy a ticket and I have about $50 extra to do whatever I want with. Now I only had to wait 2 days and then I was off to find my biological parents.
Two days later I am getting off of my plane and then I realize I never bought any kind of transportation so I could get to their house. I end up calling a taxi and then I show up at the house the house itself didn’t seem to be big from the outside and it was only one story. But now I’m just getting a rush of emotion debating whether or not I should go up and knock on the door but after sometime of debating it I remind myself I’ve been waiting for this for over a month and I’ve done so much to get here so I walk towards the front door and when I get there I don’t give myself time to debate it and I just knock.
It turns out I walked up to the neighbors so this time I make sure I’m at the right house and I get up there and knock.
Kevin
Hello, does Kevin Jones live here?
Person that answers the door
No, he moved out a couple of years ago.
Kevin
Ok well, thank you for your time.
I walk away and I just stand there for a minute realizing that my heart just broke and that I don’t have anywhere to stay for the night and that I only have $30 left from paying the taxi driver. After standing there for awhile I decide to call a taxi and hope that they know of a place that I could stay but right before it pulls up I realize that I didn’t ask if they had an address or knew of where he lives now so I run back up to the door and ask.
Kevin
Sorry, to bother you again, but you wouldn’t happen to know where Kevin Jones currently lives would you?
Person that answers the door
Actually I would they live at 123 Fake Street
Kevin
Thank you so much
Luckily they gave me an address and it wasn’t that far so I give the taxi driver the address and I feel like my heart is back together.
On the ride over I was just hoping that he still lives here because there is no way that I could pay for another taxi when we pull up it’s this 3 story mansion with this gate around it and I double check the address and it’s right so now I think that those people at that house just gave me some random address but I decide it’s worth a shot to at least try to see if it’s their house. So now my heart hurts a little bit as I walk up to the gate and they have some kind of an intercom and press the button.
Kevin
Hello?
Maid
Hola, ¿qué fue eso?
Kevin
What? Does Kevin Jones live here?
A minute passes by.
Kevin Jones
Hello?
Kevin
Hello, does Kevin Jones live here?
Kevin Jones
Yes, this is him.
Kevin
Oh, well I believe that I am your son.
Kevin Jones
Wait what?
Kevin
Did you put a baby up for adoption at Fake Adoption Center?
Kevin Jones
Yes, I did do that with my wife Melissa.
Kevin
Well I am that child.
Then they open the front door and come out then they see me and open the gate. Then everyone is crying and all emotional and later I ask them about why they put me up for adoption and they said that they were too young and couldn’t afford it. Then I told them the story about how I got here and it turns out that Melissa is famous. She also said that you didn’t find any address or anything on her because she had to remove all of that because her fans were showing up to the house. So this experience taught me that as long as you don’t give up anything is possible.