No Longer Furniture | Teen Ink

No Longer Furniture

By robinquillwriter BRONZE, Terre Haute, Indiana
robinquillwriter BRONZE, Terre Haute, Indiana

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

-Maya Angelou

Cheap furniture is something that doesn't quite stand out and doesn't commmit to memory the way colorful decorations do. I camoflague with the blurry motions of society while others wish nothing more than to stand out. I blend in for my safety, for my sanity, for my anxiety. My teachers are used to my tardiness to classes and the way I back into a wall when confrontation approaches. I've never been the most active or social.

I remember when a blond girl with bright, blue eyes and a lively voice plopped down next to me and my nearly empty lunch tray. She began rambling on about some sort of outing and asked my politely if I wanted to come along with her and her friends. Of course, if I wasn't so awkward, I would have accepted happily. Instead, I stood up so quickly I was overcome with vertigo. I mumbled some half-wit excuse from nowhere and swooped up my bag before jogging away. I have the chance to make what we call a 'friend', but my nerves transformed me into an anxious wreck. 

Now I stand with my head half-burrowed into my locker like a confused ostrich. I breathe in the cleaner air and close my eyes. I feel the rush of other students behind me and the occasional brush on my lower back with a shudder; I try to ignore the contact and grab a textbook without reading the spine. I don't bother to actually bring my Math textbook, but just snatch one up and slam my locker. And with that I blend in once more like furniture in the corner of a cluttered room. I am out of place, and yet unnoticeable in a crowd of roudy yet anxious, loud yet silent teens.

My house is towering and dark compared to the others on the block. I always hated this especially for some odd reason. I tend to be so self-conscious about so many things, that I develop unrational fears that make absolutely no sense. This always caused me to shiver as I crossed the threshhold. But at the sight of my father on the couch laughing along with my mother at an obviously hilarious joke, I tip-toed up the stairs silently. Confrontation becomes difficult even with my parents. Locking my door, I pull out a book with a black cover and crack it open. Outside, the world bustles and moves at the same tempo as usual, while mine speeds up and takes me to a place where only my book and I exist. That is all I need. I am not furniture. Now, I am the heroine that dominates all evil and takes the world for a wild ride, not vice versa. 

I am the highlight of the room, not the cheap furniture.

Inspired by the novel Because I am Furniture, by Thalia Chaltas.