The Strange Girl | Teen Ink

The Strange Girl

April 11, 2009
By writerforlove_303 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
writerforlove_303 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The strange girl walked down the dark alley without another glance in my direction. She stumbled along in her torn clothing and wild blond and brown hair. She hadn’t a care in the world besides where she was going and what she was going to do. The bad thing was, I knew what was going to happen when she stepped onto that door step. I knew a lot of things that day. I knew a lot of things everyday. My eyes scan the horizon for every possible thing and I find out what it is that needs to be mended. But I am no guardian angel. I am far from that. I am just a street walker with a talent that only I posses. I am not the person that helps others. I do not make the path they need to walk on. I give them the first brick and watch them do the rest on their own. If they get through it, good luck to them. If they fail, they fail. Which is what was about to happen to this strange girl. She was about to fail. I see failure so much more than I see good luck. It makes my heart sick and uneasy when it comes to ecstatic feelings. But don’t worry. The girl doesn’t always fail. She just fails at the beginning. But I believe that you don’t believe me. So I will tell you exactly what happened. I am not one to lie.



As the girl stumbled on, she chanted encouraging words to herself. She knew that this experience would either make or break her. She didn’t think of the consequences of rejection. She never thought she would get rejected. She had been rejected so much that she thought only love could await her here. Now, she is at the front of the door. The streetlight makes her skin look a see through green, like an alien. She swiftly knocks on the door and plasters a fake smile on her face. There is nothing but heavy breathing and a quick heartbeat for the next five seconds. The girl is about to knock again when the door wrenches open. There, a lady who looks like the strange girl with more wrinkles appears at the door. The girl speaks the words that she thinks will change her life.
“Hi. I Am Megan Davis. I have reason to believe that you are my mum. Is it true?” Her eyes were so hopeful that I wished that I could change the sharpness of her mothers tongue and the words that her mother spoke.
“Yes I am you mom,” she says with a frown, “But there is a reason I gave you away. I didn’t want you then. I don’t want you now. I never regretted getting rid of you. I don’t regret it now.” With one final sneer, the mother closed the door, hard, in her daughters shocked face.
“But you’re my mom. You’re supposed to be the one who cared…” she whispered the words. But they were spoken with so much emotion I swear the world felt them as well. The words were filled with the feelings that the strange girl, who is also called Megan Davis, was trying to get rid of for all her life. The feeling that no one wanted to call her daughter. The feeling that no one loved her. The feeling that she was all alone in the world and no one gave a squirrel’s acorn about her. She slid down the door and sat on the top step. She cried silently but heavily into her hands. The tears formed clear pools at her feet and drowned her in her own sorrow. They drowned the worlds in her sorrow and her loneliness. Her heart felt tears fell from eyes that looked at the world and wondered why she was chosen to like with this burden. Why she had to carry the feeling that no one, not even her own mum, loved her. Not even a lick. As she wiped her eyes, I could tell that her heart was broken. It was shattered into a million pieces. This, to me, makes a lot of sense. The only thing holding that heart together was hope. Hope that someone cared and loved her. With those few words spoken from here mum, the hope disappeared completely, leaving her heart to shatter into pieces. To no longer be a heart. But the broken pieces of the hope she had for love. She got up from the steps and walked around aimlessly until she decided to go back to the orphanage from which she came. There waiting for her was Thomas. The one person, on certain conditions, sort of cared for her. But to her, it wasn’t in a way that mattered to her in the slightest. As she approached him in the dim light, he saw her swollen eyes and knew that she had been crying. In a very manly manner, he pulled her into a hug and wrapped his arms around her. To his surprise, she did the same thing and cried a little more into his shirt. When she was done, Thomas pulled back a little. The words he spoke will be etched in my memory forever.
“Megan Davis, it doesn’t matter that your mum doesn’t care for you. It doesn’t matter that you think that your life is over. It’s not. You have a beauty that no one else possesses but you. I love you more then words can describe. It doesn’t matter if I don’t act like it. Because every word I speak to you right now is nothing but the truth. I love you now and forever. No matter what.” He stared intently at her and she stared back, in complete awe. Then with a shaky breath she said, “I love you too.” They hugged again and went inside the orphanage hand and hand. I saw Megan’s heart pick up again. Hope wasn’t the only think holding it up. Thomas was. His love. His heart. His soul. Everything about him stored itself in her heart and stayed together. Nothing could penetrate this heart. For the rest of her life, Megan faced challenges that tried to eat away at her heart. But she always had Tomas there. Just like he promised her, he was always there. No matter what. He never left her. This brings my heart explicit joy. A joy I cant even dare describe.


The author's comments:
This piece of work was inspired by a free write that i did in language arts class. It came to me out of nowhere so i let the story and the characters form. it turned out to be a good story, if i do say so myself.