Letter to My Future Child | Teen Ink

Letter to My Future Child

By lanagan5332 BRONZE, Carver, Massachusetts
lanagan5332 BRONZE, Carver, Massachusetts

Dear Son/Daughter,

If you’re reading this, you’ve just turned 16. You’re not actually born yet but I am writing this letter to you for your 16th birthday. I am sealing this envelope with  today’s date and instructions not to open until the age of 16. I know it’s weird to write a letter to an unborn child, but becoming a parent will change me, so I want to talk to you as a young adult, from my past experiences. I want you to see what it was like before we became parents, like any other person trying to enjoy life and find myself in a confusing world. Life is hard, there is no doubt about that, we all try to make sense of the beautiful mystery of “Life,” so unpredictable. I used to think that adults knew the purpose of life, in life, so they can tell me what my purpose is. This is completely wrong, everyone is confused as to what their purpose is in this crazy world. Nobody can tell you the answers to everything, what’s right and wrong. These people know things because of their personal experiences. What’s best for you may not be the same for them, and that’s okay. Life isn’t fun when you know everything. You need to have fun, be stupid, make mistakes, and put yourself out there. Doing these things can help you learn from your mistakes and grow as an individual. As a teenager, I lived a very cautious life. I never tried drugs or alcohol until it was legal for me to do so. I didn’t have sex until I knew I was ready and able to do so. I tried my best not to make mistakes, and that was my biggest mistake. Nobody is perfect. You have to learn to live life to the fullest. Many parents these days are afraid to be honest with their kids and talk about sex and drugs, I don’t want to be that parent. I have made many mistakes throughout my teen years and even now. But these mistakes helped me to become who I am and who I am supposed to be. I want to talk about everything with you, good or bad. Especially the things you are the most passionate about, because all these things define the real you. My parents are great for putting up with my crap when I was young, I love them to death, but I don’t want to become them. My stepmom let her life be controlled and dominated by fear, and she didn’t experience some things that eventually every kid has experienced with life’s obstacles. Mostly the fear of trying, trying different things, whether they’re good or bad. Now that you are old enough to make your own decisions, you are jumping into the unknown. I want you to live your life to the fullest and with as little pain and suffering as humanly possible. So be your own person. Live by your own rules. Find your own path. And remember… there is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path. I will always love you, no matter what happens.

Love Always,
Mom

I wrote this for my Psychology of Literature class (which btw was awesome) after reading Room, a book about a mother who was abducted and had a child with her captor, who both eventally escape, it is a great book.