Graduation | Teen Ink

Graduation

By kimee_ashley BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa
kimee_ashley BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa

katie is about to graduate highschool, but with graduation com college and decisions. When katie applyed for 3 colleges she knew for sure she was going to pick he dream college, but when graduation came around so did the letters.

Chapter 1: graduation

Graduation
   Hi I’m katie I have bright blue eyes, long blonde hair, with freckles. I have 3 younger brothers and I live with my dad. Growing up I never knew my mom she left when I was 3 and haven't seen her scene. I never really cared though, growing up I loved playing instruments and singing. I started loving music when I was in 3rd grade, I’m a senior now. Graduations coming up, I signed up for a couple schools like Juilliard, Curtis Institute of Music, and my dream school Jacobs School of Music, but I haven't heard anything.
    It's been 3 weeks since I applied to those schools, I'm at school right now just wondering why haven't they gotten back to me. I'm a straight A student I have a 4.0 gpa, I haven't missed a day of school since freshman year, I play soccer, in the drama club and more. Waiting is torture, so when I got home I went right to the mailbox looked through all the mail until I stumbled across my name, it was a letter from Curtis Institute of Music. I ran inside opened the letter and started to read.
  “We regret to inform you that the position has been filled” I read outloud on the verge of tears.
I soon ran up to my room and thought to myself
“There are still two more schools you haven't heard back from” trying to stay on the bright side
   The next couple days after school I went straight to the mailbox to see if I got any letters. It is now wednesday and i’m at school I guess my friends know I have been a little off the past couple days. Mainly because I have been ignoring everyone. After school I went straight home and went straight to the mailbox, the first thing I seen was a letter from Juilliard. I was sitting in the kitchen at the table, my dad walked in and seen the letter in my hand.
    “Hey bud” he said making me escape from my thoughts
“Hi” I said still looking at the letter.
“Open it”
“What if I don't get in”
“You will”
As soon as i got the courage I opened the letter and soon saw the words I had been waiting for.
“We are proud to inform you that” is all i read until I got out of my seat and started jumping with tears in my eyes, I got in.
      Even though I got accepted into juilliard I still wanted to know about Jacobs School of Music I have dreamed of that collage my whole music career, hopefully the letter comes soon.
It is now monday and I was home sick from school, I was waiting in the living room for the mailman. As soon as he got to my house he didn't even make it to the front door. I ran outside got the mail, I looked the first thing I seen was a letter addressed to me. i opened the letter read what was on the paper in my hand.
“I got in” I screamed but no one was home so it left me exited all alone ,oh well.
I ran to my room and got on my computer, I started to do my homework until I seen the juilliard letter. I didn't really know much about that school so i decided to look it up. I went to there home page. I was looking at juilliard for about two hours until my dad knocked at the door.
  “Come in” I replied to the the knock
As soon as my dad walked in he said,
“Did you hear back from Jacobs School of Music” he asked excited to hear my answer
“Ya” I said not as excited.
“You didn't get in” he asked kind of curious
“No, I got in but what about juliared”
“Well what one do you want to go to” he asked
“I don't know juliared has more to offer me, but I have always wanted to go to Jacobs School of Music” I said
“Well dreams change” my dad says trying to cheer me up
“Thanks, but i'm going to go to bed” I said not really going to bed
“Okay, love you” he said as he walked out the door
  I stayed up all night thinking, what if I chose to pick one school and not like it. I soon let my thoughts drowned myself to sleep. The next day I woke up and thought maybe I should talk to my teacher. When I got to school I went to Mrs. Blend, Hoping she had some closure for me.
After my conversation with Mrs.blend Ithink I might know what to do.
    It has been 2 months since I graduated, after my talk with, Mrs. blend I talked to some of my friends the all said something like dreams change. I took the opportunity to let my dreams change. So now i'm on the campus of juilliard, it's my first day. I seen students and professors with the instruments, and suitcases, they looked professional but yet I still feel like I made the right choice.