Changing | Teen Ink

Changing

February 16, 2018
By CourtneyAshton BRONZE, Science Hill, Kentucky
CourtneyAshton BRONZE, Science Hill, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Changing

Her name was Jenna I was 17 years old. Which  just like any other teen in America had social media. But before I never had a problem with social media before. I was driving home one night from my friends house and about a mile from home a car pulled out in front of me. I was in a coma for 2 days and when awoke couldn't feel her legs because I had been paralyzed from the waist down. It was now six months later and I had got adjusted to my new life in a wheelchair. I had gained some weight and now couldn't walk I felt horrible about myself but my pain wasn't near as bad until I started getting hate on my social media accounts. Jokes like bet u wish u could walk now or man your fat and lots worse. I started to respond to this hate not by words but by feelings my body shut down. I wasn't eating bc I wanted to be skinny again I wasn't going to school or out at all because I didn't want to be seen. It didn't come through to me for a while that I was also receiving love on there too. I was getting in love you and get better beautiful. After a while it was crystal clear to me that I needed to block out the haters. It was also clear to me that i also had been showed love i just looked past that. So i thought about what was actually happening. I thought about  it for a while i could shut down my account or report all the people. As i thought about it I started to want to help troubled people like me get this behind them. The problem was I didn't know how I was going to do this. So I looked at surveys online and it turns out a lot of teens role models are on youtube. So I gave it a shot I set up my phone camera and just told my story. I told the world about my depression, my wreck, and how I have moved on. Within a few hours I was getting comments on comments on how I they thought it helped them. I also got more hate in the comments but I finally looked past that. I was helping teens across the world this helped me get over the depression and forget for a moment i would never walk again. Over the next week my story made headlines I was the girl who before no one knew. Now i was helping people get over the depression and scary thought they had. I dealt with the hate I admit it was hard but I got past the hate. It still amazes me what people would say behind hind a screen but not to your face. That shows that your scared but i didn't hate these people I wanted to help them too because maybe the hate they showed was because they feel this way about their self. I got over the hate in the world and on social media now I am happy with who I am.


The author's comments:

I was writing one day and looking through youtube a video came up about a girl who was recieveing hate.