The Day of State | Teen Ink

The Day of State

By robet BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
robet BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

“Come on, Jeff!” yelled his mom, “You’re going to be late!”  She began knocking on Jeff’s door until he agreed to come out. 

“Come on mom, 5 more minutes?”, He asked, “Oh shoot never mind! I’m going!” Jeff looked over at his phone and saw it said 6:30.  I was supposed to wake up 30 minutes ago!  He thought. Anger filled his body, he can not be late for the most important day of his cross country life!

Putting on his uniform, Jeff began to run down the stairs 2 at a time. Tripping on a few on the way down. Jeff tore open a Pop Tart and put it  into the toaster.

Jeff looked at the time. He was supposed to be there in 20 minutes!

Finally after waiting a couple of minutes Jeff threw the delicious breakfast into his mouth. He moved throughout his kitchen, bumping into his tv.

Smash!

The tv fell onto the floor, glass flying everywhere like kids on a playground. Pain filled Jeff’s body, Oh no,  he thought,  That was a very expensive tv!  Jeff looked down, shrugged,  and headed to the garage.

“I’m in the car, mom!” he yelled.

He took out his phone from his pocket and began listening to his playlist. He always listens to the same songs, and the same playlist, for 2 years in a row. In those 2 years, he has always kept improving his time, or his team has done really well.

Jeff began to think, I will do well! I will go to state, I will do the best I can! Jeff doesn’t think a lot, but when he does it’s all about sports.

Jeff runs for the Newton Runners, they have  always gone to state for every sport thanks to Jeff. The school is 3a, who sometimes play against the best schools in the country. Although Jeff plays every sport the school offers, his favorite sport is either cross country, or basketball.

Knocking his feet to the rhythm of the song, Jeff began to worry. What if we don’t make it in time? What if coach gets mad at me?

Without a second to spare Jeff’s mom came out of the door, beginning to start the car. A disappointing look filled her face.

“You ready?” she asked, ignoring what she just saw in the living room.

Taking off his Beats, Jeff said, “Mom I’m always ready!”

She nodded and began to back up the car.

Jeff could tell right away that this was going to be great running weather. The trees were barely moving, partly cloudy, and the sun blasting out of the sky.

********************************************************************************************************

“Welcome Jeff, so glad you could make it, today” yelled coach, walking towards him.

“Sorry coach,” said Jeff, knowing that his coach has the headway.

Jeff looked around at the park, thankfully state was at his home course. There were trees everywhere, the grass freshly mowed,and the fresh November breeze. Looking around for his teammates, Jeff began to get hyped for the race. Teams started to roll in, and Jeff didn’t even know who they were. Like who has ever heard of De Land?

“Jeff! Get stretching with the other teammates!” yelled coach. Jeff’s coach is about 5’4, chubby, with a huge brown mustache the size of Texas. He also smells like he just got done being sprayed by a skunk.

Hurrying along to his teammates, Jeff obeyed his commands.

Let's do this, thought Jeff, I got this.

He did.

This is a short story about a guy name Jeff. The story is about his day before state for cross country.