With Winning Comes Debt | Teen Ink

With Winning Comes Debt

By Brooke1313 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Brooke1313 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Winning the lottery had always been a dream of mine. Yet, never in my wildest dreams would I anticipate that it would come true, that I would win 100 million dollars as an eighteen year old. At the time it seemed like the best thing to ever happen to me, and I could not wipe the smile off my face, for it was permanently painted on. Yet I soon discovered that money does not always equal happiness. Especially now, 6 years later, as I am swimming in a pool of debt.
100 million dollars. In seconds, I had gained a fortune by just purchasing a lottery ticket for fun that would alter my life more than I could imagine. My family was gathered around waiting for the results while I nonchalantly walked around, not anticipating anything that was going to happen. Ring-ring-ring, my phone was blowing up as my name was stated, my friends and family in awe of this event. That I, only an 18 year old, just became a millionaire.
“There is no way that just happened”, my parents stated in unison.
“This is insane”, my sister followed with a look of shock sprawled across her face.
“I just won 100 million dollars!” I cheered, finally coming to realization, my family and I celebrating in disbelief.
I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of money I had just gained, how would I use it? Thoughts of being able to finally buy whatever I wanted and travel and do whatever without having to stress about expenses made me ecstatic and filled me with joy.
“What are you going to do with all of that money?” my mom questioned.
“I’m definitely going to put away some money to save but of course I am going to spend some” I exclaimed.
And soon after, when money was in the bank account, I went straight to the mall, car dealerships, bought plane tickets to travel, and for sure treated myself. Yet, also soon after, I had family members and friends suddenly making such a big effort to talk to me and begging for money like a dog begging for a treat. Constantly their hands were out for my money, and I always would give in and pay them. The beginning was like I was walking on air, my head in cloud 9, but soon my world collapsed, and this supposed amazing win turned into a toll on my life and my expenses. My money was now being used for everything, and slowly but surely, the amount I had was dropping and dropping.
At the time, it was nice to have the money as a cushion to lean on, but soon it consumed my life and the money was dropping at the speed of lightning without my realization. From unnecessary items, to items for other people, to extremely expensive items, the possibilities were endless with 100 million dollars at my hand yet aforementioned, it was not utilized well.
Fast forward to a couple of months later, where everything seemed dark, everything seemed, gloomy, and everything seemed like it wasn’t going to get better from here. The debt I buried myself in controlled my life, and brought me from being on top of the world, to being on the bottom within just a few months.
Now, I am still digging myself out of that hole, 6 years later. Money being handed to you without any work involved may seem like the best thing possible but one should always expect the unexpected. Because, for me, I ended up with the opposite of my expectations, and had people on their knees for my money and never ending expenses to pay off. Money had always seemed like happiness, but is it really?