It's Time | Teen Ink

It's Time

December 19, 2017
By HaaseEli BRONZE, Lancaster, Wisconsin
HaaseEli BRONZE, Lancaster, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

After finding out something about herself she spent her whole life unaware of, she must face it head-on. Will she be able to overcome her own anxieties and open the door to greet what is waiting on the other side?

Chapter 1: It's Time

She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally decided she was going to walk through that door. Taking a deep breath, she stared at the white oak door a while longer. A clock ticked in the room as cars zoomed by. No one was the wiser to the turmoil inside of her. The sun shone brightly as the flame of the lemon scented candle flickered in the light breeze coming from the open window. Her heart beat like a drum in her ears.
It was difficult to accept the truth, but the facts were there. On one hand, she didn’t want to believe it. On the other, she couldn’t deny it. She thought it quite ironic, actually. Spending one's life thinking you’re one thing, just to be told by those once thought trustworthy that it’s just another lie. She felt like she couldn’t trust anyone anymore. Located on the other side of that wooden door was her truth. She was terrified to face it, but her mind was already made up. There was no backing out now.
Maybe she was over-reacting just a bit. It wouldn’t drastically change her life, but this was something most people knew about themselves their entire life. So many thoughts and emotions raced through her, it was as if a tornado were mixing up everything in her mind. She knew what was waiting for her on the other side. After reading up on them as much as possible and seeing pictures of them, she felt she was as prepared as possible. One last thought crossed her mind. It’s time.
Crossing the room and slowly opening the door she saw two smiling faces. One was a man, the other a woman. The woman, an older version of herself, was small and curvy. The black slacks and deep necked, silk, teal top was business casual. Her sleek brown hair fell to her midback in loose curls. Her skin was tan with laugh lines surrounding her dark blue eyes.
The man was less formal with loose fitting jeans and a grey t-shirt. He was clean shaven with light brown hair. His green eyes seemed to smile at her as she entered the room.
The middle-aged couple was holding hands as they patiently sat together waiting for her. She could hardly believe it. After her entire life, she was finally face-to-face with them. She was going to meet her birth parents.


 

Chapter Notes:

This is a short story