First Impressions! (Super Over Dramatic Edition!) | Teen Ink

First Impressions! (Super Over Dramatic Edition!)

By EFMorgens BRONZE, Sherborn, Massachusetts
EFMorgens BRONZE, Sherborn, Massachusetts

Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Two years ago my self esteem was shattered.  What started off as a normal day became a day I wished I had never gone to gymnastics. My Dad had dropped me off at five thirty like he does everyday, and I walked into the gym with a tired expression on my drooping face. I put my load of stuff down in a cubby and went to warm up. Then I saw my two friends who happen to be boys and abandoned class like I do every day to hang out with them. After being yelled at for, like, twenty minutes, I went back to class and sighed heavily. It was on this day at gym I found out about a pool party that everyone was invited to, but I wasn't.

I felt like the girls on my team never really took the time to get to know me. I think that you should take the time to get to know someone before judging them. I’ll never forget when I saw them talking about the party. A few girls were standing in a demented circle by the cubby when I walked by. I heard one of them say “OMG, did you see Sara's new swim suit? She said she was like, totes, gonna wear it to the pool party.”
This was the first I had heard of the pool party so I stuck around only to hear another girl say, “This party is gonna be so cool, I can’t believe everyone is invited. It’s September 12 right?”
Then another said “Yah, and the whole team is going.”

I was wondering why nobody had told me; I noticed that they all had their backs toward me and looked at me for a second, then turned away. I didn’t think much of it at the time. I was very excited hearing that because a pool party meant  swimming, snacks, and more. I assumed I would be invited because I was on the team too.

So September 12th had arrived and I awoke excitedly.“The pool party is today!” I said to myself. After considering that I plumped back down face first because it was, as I remember thinking, “It’s like, seven a.m., and a weekend. No way I’m waking up now.”

I don’t remember when I woke up, I just know it was much later. I stumbled down the stairs and ate breakfast. As my dad came down stairs, I asked him “What time is the pool party?”(This is where things get unrealistic.)

My dad came into the room I was in and said “What pool party?”

All of a sudden, I felt my soul wishing to escape from its current method of existence. I could feel myself falling into a cold dark endless void. My heart was filled with an awful sensation. My legs gave way and I collapsed to the floor in agony. “Nooooooo!” I hollered quietly for fear I might disturb someone. I don’t get invited to many parties;I got very excited when I thought I would be going to this one.

When September 13th had arrived, I was devastated. I knew people at the gym were never really my friends, but I didn’t think they would leave me out of this. I knew my first impressions aren’t the best. I become very shy and nervous because I want people to like me.  All I could think about was joyful expressions on their faces. The light hearted tone of their merry conversations. How my face turned red and my heart started pounding. I knew they did not want me in their conversation because when I got close they quickly and hesitantly changed the subject.

I had never felt so left out.

I never knew why these girls hadn’t been my friends. All I know is they judged me too soon. All of my friendships are with people who really took the time to get to know me. I realized that first impressions don’t fully describe someone. There might be more underneath. I believe that you should never judge someone without getting to know them for who they truly are, both inside, outside and all the way through. This is how I live my life, and how I always will.
Even though the heart shattering pain was two years ago, I can still feel it today.