A Change in Times | Teen Ink

A Change in Times

By KirstenC SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
KirstenC SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia

“Chai tea latte?”, asked the barista as I walked into the coffee shop. He knew my order, because I’ve been in here everyday since I was little. My father worked here, before he passed away. I was eleven then, but I still made it a point to visit my favorite coffee shop regularly. Twenty years later, I’m told my drink is ready. I grab it and make my way to the same table I’ve sat at for years. Before I sit I notice a disposable camera on the chair, so, naturally, I look through it. The first picture is of the same shop I am in now, though much more crowded, and coincidentally enough, I am sitting in this same seat. I press the forward arrow and see a empty sidewalk, except for me. Next, I see myself sitting alone at my dinning room table, eating last night’s dinner. I continue scrolling realizing the focal point is me. The last picture is of a note, it reads: “I know you’re probably scared and/or confused, but I am not trying to harm you. My name is Alyssa, and I am your daughter. I dropped the camera back on the table and sipped my coffee, trying to sort through what I just witnessed. I came to the only logical conclusion I could find possible: it was all a prank. It must be the barista, he’s the only friend I have. I walked over to the counter and questioned him about it. “Uhh, no. This wasn’t me. But, I can look through the security cameras to show you who left that camera.” About thirty minutes later, the barista came back with a black and white picture of a 10 year old girl. I studied her face, trying to place her, but I didn’t recognize her. Though, she undeniably resembled me. I finished my latte and walked out of the shop, ready to begin my day of job searching. I walked through the park, over a bridge, and under the orange and yellow trees. I was more so watching the scenery of my neighborhood than the jobs available. “Hey, watch where you’re going!” A young biker called out, while picking up her bike. “Sorry, I wasn’t look- Hey you’re that girl!” I yelled back. She jumped and a look of guilt spread across her face. “Why have you been following me?” I tried again in a nicer tone. She looked less worried and answered, “I’m sorry, I just wanted a chance to meet my dad.” “I’m not your dad. And speaking of, where are your parents?” She sighed heavily then said, “Right now, my mom is probably in a little store on main street. If you’ll let, I’d like to take you to her.” I felt guilty leaving a child by herself, so I agreed to walk her to her mother, but I didn’t want to see her again after that. Through the park again, the opposite way I came, I looked through the leaves. Ten minutes later, we had reached a little store called “Lilo’s” and inside was a woman I had dated in college. I broke away from Alyssa for a moment to go say “hi”, but when I reached the woman Alyssa had already gotten to her, being held in an embrace. “See, I told you, you know my mom.” Alyssa said. “Go find a small toy to take home.” The woman said to her with a small shove. As Alyssa hurried off, her mother came closer to me. “I’m so sorry about her, I told her not to come looking for you, that you were not to be bothered.” She apologized. “You were pregnant? That’s why you left. Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, confused and hurt. “I’m sorry, I knew you had a plan that didn’t include a baby. I thought it was best.” She replied in a small voice. “Maybe we could continue this discussion over dinner?” She continued. “I think that would be lovely.” I replied. We turned to watch as Alyssa came running back with a board game, begging for “ this one”.