surprise! | Teen Ink

surprise!

November 28, 2017
By KirstenC SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
KirstenC SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 For my eighteenth birthday, two friends and I went to New York City! It was a short drive, but none of us had ever been. When we saw that they were hosting a huge carnival for the Fourth of July, we jumped at the opportunity. I packed my bags and waited eagerly on my front porch for my friends to arrive. When they did, I hopped into the red punch buggy and we were on our way.When we got to our hotel for the night, we dropped our bags and changed. We swapped our sweats and tees for a cute but casual look. Dressed in white tank tops, denim shorts, white converse, and bright red lipstick, we began our night. When we arrived to the carnival, I felt a mix of emotions. I was excited to finally be eighteen, a grown-up, independent. But, I was also anxious. What if I got into some trouble here, who would I have to fall back on? I smelled the salty popcorn in the air, and it washed my worried away. We walked toward the red and white ticket booth, blinded by the colorful flashing lights. We handed the worker our money in exchange for our tickets, then proceeded into the festival. I could barely hear my friends ask if I wanted to go get drinks over the music blasting over the speakers. I nodded my head and we made our way. “Three sprites, please.” My friend told the lady. She grabbed the drinks and walked them over to a table. We sat down, then she handed me mine. “To adulthood!” my friend cheered, we clinked our plastic cups and took a sip. We threw away our empty cups, then got on the ferris-wheel, my favorite ride. The ride started and the began to rise. I could see all of the beautiful colors, now. The music was loud, drowning out my thoughts. The colors were louder, blinding my reality. Until, they became smeared pictures on a canvas. The music became distant, unclear. I felt like I was flying through the bright city of New York, I had no cares. Until, I realized this wasn’t normal. I looked at my friends, they weren’t there, only blurry colors of what used to be them. I looked down and saw the ground, becoming farther and farther away from me. I began to panic and I felt my arms being grabbed to stop me from shaking, which caused me more panic. I was out of control, lost, confused. The ride came to a stop and I felt myself being pulled off and dragged to a table. I then felt a cold cup of water being pushed into my hands and motioned to my mouth. Untrustworthy of anyone or anything, I rejected. I heard my friends voice in the distant say, “I don’t know what happened, I just wanted her to have a good time.” I was sweating and had cold chills at the same time. My friends grabbed my arm and led me to their car. I heard the engine start and felt the car roar to life below me. Every so often my friend in the passenger seat would turn around and make sure I was okay, I wasn’t. When we arrived to the hotel they told me to stay in the car while they gathered our stuff so we could make our way home. I waited for what felt like hours, I think I fell asleep a few times. I became thirsty, so I tried to get out of the car. By the time I realized I couldn’t get out because my seatbelt was still on, my friends were back with our suitcases. When they got back in the car, I asked for a drink. We pulled into a seven-eleven and yet again, I was told to stay put. I stared into the bright neon lights as I waited, feeling the same sensation as I did on the ferris-wheel. My friends walked back out, I think, they were still blurry. I realized it was them when they entered the car and handed me a water. We began our drive back home. Only an hour away, but it felt like ten. When we finally arrived I felt a little better. I snuck up to my room, without waking my parents, and fell into unconsciousness.