The Injury That Lasts A Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Injury That Lasts A Lifetime

November 17, 2017
By Jaxon8067 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
Jaxon8067 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments



        Hunter had just gotten out of third hour when his friend Dave stopped him on his way to Mr. Daphl’s class and told him “There’s a party tonight are you up?” He responded with “Sure what time?” Then Dave murmurs as he walks away “10:30 on the dot.” All Hunter wanted was to be popular so he thought that he was going to try to impress people at the party.

 

 

Right after school Hunter had walked out and gotten in his car and started it up when he heard a bang on the window and saw his friend Abby. She mumbled “Let me in right now I need to tell you something!” Hunter quickly replies “What is it abby!” Abby looks around the car checking to see if anyone is in it or looking at them weirdly and says “Ok there is something weird going on here because there was this weird glow coming from the basement door.” Hunter quickly replies with “Don’t you mean that it was a light?” Abby lightly yells “No it was red and really, really, really bright.” Hunter then says “Stop lying to me please Abby.” Abby yells “FOLLOW ME IF YOU THINK I’M LYING RIGHT NOW!”

 


As Hunter and Abby leave the car and go back into the school they get stopped by the principal and he asks “What are you two doing in here, I saw you leave 5 minutes ago.” Hunter and Abby quickly reply in unison “We forgot something that we need to use to study.” The Principal mentions “Ok well the doors get locked and alarms are set in a half and hour so you two better be quick.” They reply “Yes sir.”

 


As the two enter the basement hunter starts talking “Where are we going?” Hunter questioned. Abby responds “We are going over . . . Shut up someone’s down here!” She says quietly. Hunter and Abby slowly go down the creaky steps until they hit solid ground. Abby listens and hears nobody and tells hunter “Ok turn on that light behind you.” Hunter presses the button and when he turns around all the color drains from his face. He looks and sees people chained to a wall and gagged. Abby whispers “Come over here look at this thing.” Hunter and Abby go around the corner and they see a weird red portal that looks gooey.

 


Hunter touched it and found out that it was special effect. “Phewww that was kind of scary.” Hunter replied. Abby declares “Alright let’s get out of here it’s giving me the hebejebes.” Hunter and Abby exited the basement. When they exited the building the principal waved goodbye. Hunter had his keys out ready to unlock his car when he asked Abby “Do you need a ride?” Abby replied “Yes! I do thank you so much!” When hunter unlocked the car he heard really hard and fast footsteps behind and didn’t think to much of it. Abby told Hunter “Thanks for the ride.” Hunter adds “No probl-,” Abby see’s hunter fall down on the ground with a guy behind him with their fist bloodied up. Abby shouts “HUNTER ARE YOU OK!” Abby hears no response and sprints around the car to help Hunter. When Abby sees that Hunter doesn’t respond she pulls out her phone whilst the Principal runs towards them. Abby dials 9-1-1.

 


Ten minutes pass. All you hear is ambulance sirens roaring down the street while Abby, Hunter, and the Principal all sit in the ambulance the EMS team help Hunter. When they arrive at the hospital Abby and the Principal are asked to stay put until instructed to enter the hospital. Abby whispers to the Principal “Do you know the person that had smashed in the back of Hunters head?” the Principal responds with “No I don’t he looked like he was about 18.” Abby and the Principal are instructed that they can come in and sit down. Abby calls hers and Hunters parents.

 


Three hours pass. With every passing moment all Abby sees is Hunter getting the back of his head smashed in. All she hears is the sound of the ticking clock. Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock. The Doctor walks in and asks “The surgery is going to take a lot more time if you want to you can go home and get a good night’s rest. Hunter’s family says that everyone can go home if they choose. Abby and the Principal announce “We helped him get here we must stay!”

 


Two Days Pass. Abby and the Principal walk into Hunter’s room. Abby whispers “Hey Hunter how you doing buddy?” Hunter responds very slowly “I’m do-ing g-ood, w-w-what h-h-happe-ned?” Abby responds “You got hit in the back of the head but you’re ok right?” Hunter responds slowly “R-r-right.” Abby and the Principal ask the doctor as he enters the room “What happened to Hunter’s forehead?” The doctor tells them, “We need to use some of the bone for the back of his head.” Abby and the Principal tell Hunter, “Goodbye, we’ll see you soon buddy.”

 


30 days pass. Abby goes into the Physical Therapy office. She see’s Hunter and runs up to him giving him a hug and asks him, “Ready for today buddy?” He responds “Yes, yes Abby I believe I am!” She tells him “Ok let’s start” Abby holds Hunter’s hands as he tries to stand up, but he falls back into his wheelchair. “Abby it’s really hard to do!” Hunter tells Abby. Abby responds “It’s ok bud, there’s a lot of stuff that’s hard to do keep trying, i’m here.” Abby keeps holding onto his hands as he gets up and starts to walk towards her. “Abby look i’m doing it!” Hunter tells her with excitement.

 


A year later. Abby and Hunter are on their way to a restaurant. When they arrive Abby holds Hunters door open as he exits the car. When he fully exits he shuts the door and they walk together to the door of the restaurant called “The Mad Moments” before they enter they kiss and walk in holding hands.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this due to this happening to a young man that did BMX and he is my idol I would love to meet him. 

Hunter is a young man that enjoys school and loves partying. His friend Abby says that she sees something weird in the school basement so they go to investigate it.