Locked Out | Teen Ink

Locked Out

By Ryan Gogats SILVER, Congers, New York
Ryan Gogats SILVER, Congers, New York

As I stood outside the door, I began to think “Oh crap. I’m late.” I attempted to open it, to no avail. I couldn’t see inside, but I could hear the voices and could tell that I was late, and knew that they wouldn’t be able to hear me as I pounded on the door.

Walking away would be tough, but I realized that I had no other choice, and it would be a waste of time to just around, waiting for something that was never going to happen. So, I decided to spend the day loitering around the city, seeing what goes on in these mysterious times of day.

This freedom was very refreshing to me. For once, I had no set goal, and I wasn’t worried about being late to anything. I have always followed a routine schedule, with nothing out of the norm. The last time that I had some sort of choice in my next course of action was so long ago that I cannot recall. This feeling was relatively new to me, and I was extremely excited with the idea. Maybe I could go get some food, or go see if any of my friends are available to go see a movie. In this city, there are so many possibilities. Maybe I’ll witness a gang fight. Of course, I would keep my distance.

To me, this day is an event, a holiday. I normally don’t even have anything to look forward to, and I thought that I had enjoyed living the tedious, repetitive lifestyle of a man in the city. This freedom is absolutely clearing my mind, and even though I know I will be disciplined for being late, I’m not worrying about it right now. All I care about is learning more about the city, and entertaining myself with the various things that I never had the time to do before. As I took my first step away from the door, I heard a noise behind me. I turned around, and heard a voice. “You’re late.”