If I Were Mayor of My Town | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor of My Town

By ajax3377 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ajax3377 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

As the Mayor of Hartland, Wisconsin, I feel that it is my utmost responsibility to keep the people happy and to keep the town as safe as possible. I would like to instate an extraordinarily efficient and creative, local government to help create or update any of the ordinances. In my mind, the happier and healthier the people are, the more likely they are to stay in the town or to recommend moving here to friends or family from out of town.

The safety of the town would also play a crucial role; the safer the town the happier the people are—it’s a never-ending cycle. In order to accomplish my goals, my plans of action will be as following: keep the air and water standards safe, get the youth involved in the local government, and advertise the safety of the town to attract people to move here.

As the Mayor of my town, I would ensure that a few major things get done. My first priority would be the health of the town. I would try to keep the water and air as clean as possible so that future generations aren’t left with the destruction that this generation has done to the planet. I would make sure that water purification systems are installed in every single house in the city. According to CNBC, there has been a large problem with the safety of the water in the United States. Only nine of the states have reported safe levels of lead in their water, which endangers the rest of the population in the United States. In my opinion, this is something that is highly important to address because it affects so many innocent people.

Something else that I believe particularly in is getting more youth involved in the local government. I feel that the local government would reflect the same age gap as in the federal government. I feel as if the majority of people in power are all much older individuals, but I feel that it would be much healthier to have a mixture. The youth come from a much different generation than many holding office today, a generation with greater creativity and problem-solving skills. I feel that this would be an excellent combination of the two age groups. The problem-solving skills and creativity the youth bring, but also the wisdom and experience brought by the others in office could account for a great team. My plan of action is to change any sort of law with an age limit for legislation and make public service announcements encouraging young minds to get a spot in office.
Another thing that is really important to me is trying to get people to move here. Hartland, WI, is one of the safest cities in the United States as well as in Wisconsin alone, which is all the more reason to move here. More people means more money for the town, a better chance to get people in office, and an opportunity to create more businesses; businesses mean jobs. According to neighborhoodscout.com, Hartland, WI is safer than 71% of the United States with a total of 90 crimes annually; The majority of crimes are property damage. The chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime is 0.65% or 1 in 1537, which is 78% less than the Wisconsin average of 3.06% or 1 in 327.

Hartland is a town with much potential. There are many businesses in our industrial parks. Take Versevo as an example. Versevo is a company that uses a metal casting process to manufacture parts for larger companies; Ford is their biggest customer. If more people are encouraged to move here, that means more opportunities for new businesses. More jobs mean more people wanting to move here. With all the right steps in the right direction, it is easily possible to make Hartland a better, safer place and keep the people satisfied in this small, yet flamboyant town I call home.