Dr. Kolevski Meeting: Day One | Teen Ink

Dr. Kolevski Meeting: Day One

“Hello Tom, my name is Dr. Kolevski, you can call me Dr. K,” Dr. K introduced.  I walked into the quiet little room.  It was dark, in the background, the white noise played to block the hallway banter and the busy Denver streets below.  “Do you have any questions before we start?” Dr. K asked.  I wanted to say yes, when could I leave?  But my better judgment prohibited me. 
“Nope, we’re all good Doc,” I replied.  We sat down in the huge Lazy-boy rockers, by far the best part of the visit. 
“Okay, so I presume you know how this whole thing works…  I’m under the impression that this is not your first rodeo,” Dr. K questioned. 
“You could say that I guess,”  I replied. 
“Tom, you are going to have to be a little bit more elaborate with me here, I’m trying to help you,” Dr. K stated. 
I started to say,
“I gotta be honest with you Doc, I really don’t want to be here, it’s completely ludicrous that my girlfriend Mary forced me to come.  I bet all of my friends are having a s*** ton of fun at the Kappa Kappa Fi party right now.  Ha, probably all stoned out of their minds.”
“Okay then,” Dr. K responded
“Was that elaborated enough for you Doc?” I replied spitefully.
“Moving on,” Dr. K said.  “The whole reason for you coming here is because of someone, your girlfriend, thought that it was time for you to get help.  She obviously sees that you have some sort of issue going on, whether it’s anxiety, depression, or anger issues, there is definitely something there.  It is my job to help you resolve this issue so you can move on with your daily life, That is why they pay me the big bucks,” Dr. K claimed.
“Hate to correct you Doc, but that is why I pay you the big bucks,” I replied reluctantly. 
“I can clearly see that you do not want to be here right now, so I will try and make this short.  I have one question for you.  What is one dream you have for your future? Tell me what it would be like to have that dream come true, to live that life,” Dr. K asked.
“Why does that matter, how is that going to help?” I replied.
“Please Thomas, just answer the question,” Dr. K repeated.  I sat there in silence for a few seconds, thinking about whether I should actually answer the questions.  I said what the hell.
“I want to get married,” I noted.
“Okay,” Dr. K urged.
“I want to marry my girlfriend Mary and have children.  Two of them.  I want to marry Mary and have two children with her.  I want to live in a modest house if not in, then around the Denver area, where I grew up.  I want my two brothers and their wives to live near me, if not in my town, then in neighboring towns.  All of our doors will always be open, on any night, my kids and I can go and eat dinner at one of their uncle’s houses, while my wife is out of town, they can do the same.  During the summer, my brothers and I will own a house down by the shore together, where we all go down during our children’s summer breaks. Where we won’t have any worries but what we are going to have for dinner, and what time we should get ice cream after.”
“Let me stop you ther-” Dr. K tried to manage.
“I want to grow up with my kids.  My Dad wasn’t there for me throughout my teenage years.  I will be there for my kids.  I won’t get mad too easy, but I will still be stern.  If one of them ever brings home a boy, I’ll be sure to let him know I have 24/7 snipers on the roof, if he ever tries to pull a quick one,” I claimed.
“Okay, good, good.  What would you like to do in life, as an occupation?” Dr. K questioned.
“I want to be a musician.  I love playing the drums, and I figured why not do what you love, and get paid for it.  With being a touring musician, I also want to either open up a record label or a recording studio.  I want other prospering musicians to be able to share things they can create with the world, and I  want to help them with that.  I want to tour the world with the members of my band, be able to see new things, try new things, and meet new people.  Most of all, I want to have my family witness it every step of the way!” I exclaimed proudly. 
“It sounds to me that you are an ‘I want’ man,” Dr. K noted.
“An I what-now?” I asked.
“An ‘I want’ man, someone who is solely fixated on the things he wants in life.  Sometimes if you care only about what you want to do, you won’t know how to or even try to get there.  You’ll be too busy thinking about it all the time,”  Dr. K explained.
“Doc, hold on a second there,” I stopped him.
“Yes, sometimes, you can fall through the ‘trapdoor’ of your thoughts.  You become so obsessed with this idea, that you forget about everything else, or even trying to achieve the goal,” Dr. K elaborated.
“Doc, give me a break,” I hollered.  An hour had already passed by.
“No Tom, it’s true.  Your dreams can be as dangerous as a knife.  It is amazing that a person like you, only two years into college, already has his whole life planned out for him.  To be successful in life, a person must know what they want, how to get it, and how to learn,” Dr. K said mindfully.
“Wow, I never really thought about it like that.  Thanks for that insightful information Doc,” I replied.  I started to think this therapist thing wasn’t so bad, Dr. K really opened my eyes to what I want and what my dreams are in life.
“Anytime Tom, so that about concludes our meeting for today.  Remember, if you ever have anything to talk about, feel free to call my office.  I’m always here to help you now and in the future,” Dr. K stated.
“Okay, yeah. Oh and about what I said at the beginning, about not wanting to be here, this meeting definitely changed my mind about this whole therapist thing.  I will surely be coming back sometime soon,” I said.
“No problem Tom!  Have a good night, and good luck with you and your brothers’ beach house!” Dr. K sent off.
“Thanks, Doc. Goodnight!” I replied.