I Taught Her How To Walk | Teen Ink

I Taught Her How To Walk

By AJASH BRONZE, Cupertino, California
AJASH BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Yesterday night, at approximately 11:11 pm, I told my parents that I would accomplish something mesmerizing today. I had finally decided that I wanted to teach my 1 year old sister, Ananya, how to walk. After spending sleepless nights, I finally convinced myself that I can do it. I needed to do this, as everyone thought of me as an innocent and immature child. But I wanted to prove myself otherwise, as I knew that I was capable of doing much more. I also wanted to demonstrate to my parents that I am competent to do it. When I told them about my plan, they agreed to it hesitantly. I had never been given such a big responsibility before, but I was up for this new and exhilarating challenge. I was excited, as I wanted my parents to view me as a responsible 7-year old. I kicked the blankets off my bed and raced to my parents’ room, which was about 40 feet away, but for me it was just two graceful strides. When I reached the master bedroom, my sister was sleeping quietly with her thumb in her mouth, but I was too excited to worry about it. I was about to go over to Ananya and vigorously shake her, but my dad grabbed my shoulders and told me to let her sleep. “What!? But dad today is the day I have been waiting for! Don’t you know how important this day will be for my little sister?” I shouted. My dad looked at me with pause and said, “Ananya needs to rest for another two hours, it’s only 6 a.m.” “2 more hours! I can’t wait that long!” I said out loud. I just knew it was going to be a very long day.

I could vividly imagine my sister thanking me, upon growing up, for this kind and caring act. My creative yet unrealistic imagination didn't stop there. I dreamt of my sister throwing rose petals up in the air and blowing kisses to me as if I was a celebrity. Get hold of yourself, I thought. This would all happen after teaching my sister how to walk. Speaking of which, I remembered making an extremely detailed lesson plan. To begin with, we would discuss how her legs would move in a step by step manner. To facilitate this, I would entice her with her favorite chocolate-colored teddy bear. For the final step, I planned on giving her a piece of candy for every step she took. I shared this plan with my parents and it brought an interesting look on their faces. I took that positively, because nothing could distract me from my goal now. I knew my parents would be pleased to know that their child was a genius, and I indeed am a genius. One day, I plan on winning an award for being meticulous, and that will definitely happen.

My sister seemed quite hesitant on walking first, and all she wanted was to hug her teddy bear and eat candy like a normal child would. “Ananya that isn't in the lesson plan! Now listen to me!” I said in an irritated voice. I was starting to lose my patience now. My sister cocked her head in my direction, confused about what I was saying, and then out of nowhere suddenly started crying. My parents came running up the stairs and gave me an accusatory look. My response was, “What? Don't look at me!” I had done nothing wrong, yet my sister pointed her small index finger at me and started crying even more. All I was trying to do was to teach her how to walk, but I didn't know that she would take it this way. I realized that in order for one to accomplish their goal, they need to understand the idea of self-restraint. “Ananya, I am sorry, but how about we go and start trying to walk again. I promise to hold your hand with every step you take.” I suggested politely. My sister seemed to understand what I was saying and held her shaking hand towards me. I delightfully took her hand, and we both crawled down the stairs to experience a life-changing moment.

When we reached downstairs and were near the mahogany dining table, I gave my sister one hug. From that one affectionate gesture, she understood that I wouldn't let her fall and that I had become trustworthy in her eyes. This is it Anjali, you can be a good role model for Ananya. I was mentally trying to convince myself that “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I'm possible.” My sister was on her knees, and I told her to stand up, while putting the pressure on her knees. My sister was tentative of being in that position, because her small chubby knees couldn't take that much pressure. I knew she could do it but she just needed some words of encouragement. I told Ananya that if she could reach the kitchen counter (about 2 feet away), she would get to watch 2 hours of her favorite TV show Elmo (even though my mom wouldn't allow that, I needed to lure her). I took a deep breath, and Ananya followed me, except way more cute and baby like. Her stubby legs and fingers caught a grip of the wooden floor, as though Usain Bolt was about to do the 100 meter sprint, and with the help of a kitchen cabinet handle, she stood up. She looked at me enthusiastically, as if this was what we were planning to do. I didn't want to crush that new hope inside of her, but I knew that this was being done for her own good. I gave her a nod that said “Yes, you can stand up, but you have to walk.” Swiftly, my sister took a graceful step holding my hand and ‘BAM!’, it felt as if the entire world was clapping thunderously. My sister looked at me with a huge smile on her face, that one can't possibly describe in words. She crashed into me with a big hug. It also brought an abundance of joy on my parents’ face. My mom said with pride, “Anjali, you will be a great older sister.” 

I learned that if one gives up too early, how will they be able to discover the endless adventures that lie ahead of them. I was determined to teach my sister how to walk, and I did that, which makes me a proud elder sister.