Sticks and Stones

Rumors spread through this school like wildfire, whispered from lip-gloss smeared mouths into ears eager for some juicy tidbit. For the blonde hair, blue eyes, Barbie Doll crowd, gossip was like meals-on-wheels, for they never seemed to eat anything more substantial other than the stories that ferreted out God knows how. And crazy enough, most of their stories turned out true in the end.

The student population saw this elite clique as watchful gods, ready to damn them to hell for their sins. Of course, there were a select few that could care less; the potheads, the geeks, the goths…and me; ironically enough, these were the people that the Ultra-preps told their stories about. Where did I fit in? Nowhere exactly. I preferred not to be labeled. Of course, that didn’t stop the mad rumor-mill of Lakeside High. Freckle Face, Four Eyes, those were some of the names they called me. The nice ones. But that’s all they had, and that’s why they hated me. My story was impossible to ferret out by their usual methods. I didn’t mind the names though, they were true enough. And you know what they say. . . ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones’…

I had seen them. In the hallways, after school, eavesdropping on my conversation and then interrogating the people I made contact with. But I was careful, oh yes I was. I never told any secrets to anyone, not even to my self in a diary or something like that, easily read by prying blue eyes.

Why, if I cared so little, did I guard my secrets so? Perhaps it is the nature of the secret, but that is for another story, if there is one. I said I could handle names, but if that one secret got out…I don’t know what I would do. So don’t ask me about it.

“Hey Dork-Fish!” That’s a new one. “Hey Dork-Fish, I’m talking to you!” An unfamiliar Barbie clone (They all look the same.) shouted.

“Really? I couldn’t hear you over that obnoxiously loud make-up,” I replied. Fight fire with fire.

“You good for nothing b****!” she shouted indignantly.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,” I said calmly, trying to be Gandhi.

“You really want to know what sticks and stones can do?” she asked. Several Barbie clones and beefy jocks stepped out from behind a row of lockers and grabbed my arms.

“Why don’t we settle this rationally like mature adults,” I said, my voice still even despite the cold pit of fear that sat in my stomach like a rock. They just laughed and started dragging me out the door. I practiced passive resistance, dragging my feet and not making any effort to go forward. I was limp as a rag doll as they carried me across the field.

A small stump awaited me in the middle of the field. I knew where this place was, everyone did. But for some reason I felt no urge to resist, I kept my dignity. The “gods” had passed their judgment.

~ ~ ~

They pelted me with rocks and beat me with their sticks, but I just sat there, hoping that if I didn’t move they would just leave me alone. But it continued, and continued.

I’m going to die. I giggled. I’m going to die, and my secret is going to die with me. Hee hee, I’m coming Mom. No more Daddy. Hee hee, what fun!

j rae said...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 10:15 am:
All i can say is...Awsome! beautifully written.

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 8:31 pm :
Really? This is my least favorite piece. . .you might even say I hate it. . .thanks for all the comments!
-Blessed Be!
+++ZERO+++

J. Rae replied...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:34 pm :
You hate it, I love it. It is a strange peice, but it's really good.

Little2Feet said...
o, i love it! great job!

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is GREAT! really great: i love how you started it.

Anj16 said...
this is FREAKING GOOD! and by freaking good i mean INSANELY AWESOME!!!!

So-calledLife This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 5, 2009 at 6:48 am:
i like this. a little dark but very well written...i like how you never know what the secret it.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
okOK, So i reAd iT oNe moRE tIMe bEForE i WAs forCed uNDer mY sTRong wiLL tO Go tO bEd. I HAd cRyPtic aND eErIe ThoUgHts aLL niGht bEcaUse oF Sticks and Stones...i LoooVe tHat iT mAde Me hAVe thOsE kiNdS Of thoUGhts. OKok, wHat haPPenEd? aS i sAiD, i POstDd 2 oF yoUr woRKs uNder mY faVorItE Teenink articles and artworks... As i wEnt To revIEw iT, i rEAliZed tHAt nOt JUst 2 oF yUr pieCes wHeRe OPn tHeRe, BUtt 5! lOL!!!

Zero_Kiryu This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 7, 2009 at 12:36 am:
Thanks His-Bright-Green-Eyes. . . That last part was supposed to scare you, hee hee.
ZERO

I LOVE THE ENDING! very nice. i see you like eerie things... try Renaissance (yeah, i know, how dare i suggest my work when i'm complementing yours). I really like the... idea of the popular girls killing another..... i hope you make this into a ghost story and publish it as a book, i'd read it for sure!

sallyloco said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 2:57 am:
it is quite scary but I thought it was interesting. I didn't like the ending. That scared me with the hee hee.

Nyx_X said...
Girl, you've been reading way too many horror stories. This is really scary.