Bedtime Stories | Teen Ink

Bedtime Stories

By AlleeRProctor PLATINUM, Martinsburg, Wv, West Virginia
AlleeRProctor PLATINUM, Martinsburg, Wv, West Virginia

"Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open." -Natalie Goldberg

I twirl her blonde locks in my fingers. Her Disney pajamas are on. Her skin is soft as satin. Her toe nails are painted baby blue, that’s her mother's favorite shade.

"Mommy," her tiny voice grasps my hearing

"Mommy, will you tell me a story."

I grin and I begin to tell her about the princess and the knight. The knight who so happened to be female. The princess who didn’t wait in the tower to be saved. I explained to her how the princess saved herself. I tell her how the kingdom was ruled by two queens because it's okay if two women fall in love. Love is love, and throughout the story, the most beautiful parts are the parts when her deep ocean blue eyes widen. Sometimes, I might even get her jaw to drop if I animate my voice enough. She loves that.

But nothing makes me happier or more satisfied then when she bounces her curls, shaking me, yelling, "Mommy, Mommy, tell it again. Just one more time!"

Apologies for the late reply, but I appreciate your kind words about my piece. It's one of my favorites, as well. Thank you, again!

SarahWrites48 SILVER, New York City, New York
I love this! It's probably one of my favorite pieces on teen ink. There was something about it that I couldn't put my finger on that was just amazing. Probably the fact that it was so short but seemed to continue telling a story after you finished reading it.