Take a Chance | Teen Ink

Take a Chance

By Maddie1234 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Maddie1234 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

For 15 years, Kali had been living the typical American teen girl life. The kind you read about in books and see in movies. Her days were spent at Odowa high school and her nights spent being driven to and from dance practice. Even though her schedule was packed, everything seemed to work. Kali’s life had become a monotonous cycle that she couldn’t seem to escape.
Like always, Kali walked into 3rd hour with a forced smile on her face. Little did she know, today would not be like the many before. Today was different, special in some way, and she could feel it. After making her way to her usual seat, she glanced up to see a big pair of brown eyes staring right into hers. She quickly looked away, startled at how intense his glare was. She constantly reminded herself to keep looking forward, scared that if she looked away for even a second their eyes would meet. This went on for a while and Kali just got used to it, just another part of her daily routine. At least this was true until one day, Kali felt a rush of air approach her as she was leaving class. Daniel Adams was standing right in front of her.
“Hey Kali, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the football game with me tonight?” He asked while his face slowly grew red with anticipation.
“Ummm sure.” Kali blurted out as she quickly walked in the other direction.
As she bolted to her locker, A million thoughts rushed through her head. What just happened? Why am I so awkward? What about dance practice tonight? Knowing that there is no way she’ll be able to skip, Kali plans a way to sneak out. Everything in her head told her to stop and think about the consequences, yet everything in her heart told her to go. That night, Kali snuck out of the house and went to the game. She had never felt so alive. She walked into the stadium, her head pounding and palms sweaty. She sees Daniel at the bottom of the stands and walks over. At this moment, Kali had immediately doubted everything she had done. She had risked everything for a guy that she barely knew. She desperately wanted an adventure but now she wasn’t sure this was the right choice. Kali and Daniel sat together for the whole game just talking and laughing. She completely forgot about dance practice, school, everything. He walked Kali out and they said their goodbyes.
As she walked away, Kali got a rush of butterflies in her stomach. For once in her life, she did something crazy and unexpected. From then on, she always made sure to do one thing, surprise herself. She figured that sometimes you need to do something great and unexpected, you never know what will happen. She took time to talk to new people in the halls and try new foods which she would have never done if it weren't for this one chance she took, and you can bet that it wasn’t the last.