The Mirror

The mirror hung on the wall, unadorned, deadly. I focused my attention on the sparse furnishings of the room, two chairs, the stark white walls, even staring for a time at the naked bulb in the ceiling, hoping to blind myself, lest my gaze be drawn to the mirror’s cold, reflective surface. Finding no visual stimuli I finally resorted to putting my head between my knees and counting as high as I could. I could not look in the mirror. I could not look in the mirror.

In the mirror lay Truth. The harsh Truth. The Truth that they put me in here to find. I ran around the room, going endlessly in circles, again and again and again, but it did not help to occupy my mind. Truth was deadly, but I was drawn to it. I hated it, but I needed to see it. Just one look…NO! That is what they want me to do, how they want me to react. I will not play their game. I will not.

I pounded and pounded on the stark white wall until my knuckles bled, and screamed and screamed at the top of my lungs until my voice grew hoarse and my head light; screamed for someone, anyone, to let me out, just let me out of this godforsaken prison. But no one came.

I collapsed in a miserable heap, my back against the wall, sobbing as the insanity slowly ate away at my mind. How long? How long must I bear this inexplicable torture?

Finally, I turned to face the Truth, and saw, at last, what I had been oblivious to all along. What other’s had seen. It was myself, and yet a stranger. A tiny, wasted stranger. In the stark bright light I could count all my ribs, see my kneecaps clear as day through sickly skin, stretched tight over my skeleton like a drum. Who was this stranger. It’s not me. This is not me. I’m better than that. I’m better…

shywriter said...
Dec. 10, 2009 at 8:18 am:
That was amazing. Somehow I can relate to it. Good job! You really do have a way with words :P

marii816 said...
I honestly love your work... this one is definitely art..you have a way with words :)

Chickie said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:28 am:
This was so good, it made me want to cry and scream along with the character. :)

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:17 am:
Honestly, I thought that this was fantastic.
Your wording is great, and your writing has the potential to make an impact on those who are willing to open themselves up to it.
Powerful and well written.

ariwrites94 said...
Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:55 am:
wonderful! i enjoyed this article too! I feel like this sometimes as if it's not me standing in front of the mirror but someone else. Plz read my poem called "Sensitive Am I" and rate and comment plz! thanx!

<3::wish4wings::<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 10:33 am:
powerful. and well said!

Joanna said...
It's quite a current issue, isn't it?
It makes me think about the possibility -- the one nagging in the very back of my mind -- but I don't want to be like that and I like food way too much. ^_^
It has so much impact, this article. Nice.

So-calledLife This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 5, 2009 at 6:53 am:
this is an amazing piece! powerful message. your writing is really deep.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:20 am:
I don't know why, but I keep coming back to "The Mirror". I think it's because it makes me realize what a monster I've become. It's not like I'm suddenly gaining weight, but it's a personal slap in the face for me.

Inkspired said...
Very powerful, I really liked your message. Well written. Love it!

ARQUETTE7 said...
wow...nice

Aug. 10, 2009 at 9:23 am:
lol, i wasn't logged in, and got to rate it again. I'm sneeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaky... but now my comment has to go into submission. Not sneaky enough, i guess. I love this one, it makes me kinda sad of how wasted away i look. And what's worse, is that it happened over last summer vacation, so i left school a little bit chubby, and came back like a skeleton. Well, I do love to shock ppl!

Aug. 9, 2009 at 5:24 am:
thx for your comments. And yes, for you, I ate something with sugar and calories. I almost gagged, but after reading this, it makes me feel crappy and that I have to gain some weight. Oh, yeah, the boy I like who is also my best friend is still close to me. He's dating someone else, and I accept that. He was telling me (Lol, the guy has the grace to talk face to face) that we're too close to date, and that he thinks, frankly, I'd be a Hell of a partner to have... and he's right, I wo... (more »)

Again i agree with Nynx_X..... but i think it's true, a lot of girls are going through this. I became anorexic (that's what im getting from the counting ribs and knee caps thing) when I ended up gaining five pounds from 118. I meant to be 5"3 and weigh 110, but I weigh 85 and think i'm fat.

sallyloco said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 2:59 am:
very good. i agree with Nyx_X

Nyx_X said...
This is creepy, but good.