Smile | Teen Ink

Smile

By Hannah Novak BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois
Hannah Novak BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois

The wind is cold as it whips on my cheeks in the frozen March air. Bikes were not meant for forty-degree weather, I concluded, and pushed down harder on the pedals. I had gone halfway there already though, two uphill miles, and turning back wasn’t an option. I turn off onto a little side street that up until recently, I knew nothing about. The little hidden cul-de-sac that would become my one source of happiness over the next few years lay just around the bend. I rode forward in my last attempt to make it to the destination, turning my head to gaze at the pretty yellow house, the second on the left. I looked for a sign of life in the sleepy neighborhood, in the hopeful house that sat in my view. Nothing stirred in the depths, and I heard myself sigh. Scanning the driveway, the yard, the paths surrounding the secluded cluster of homes, I looked for a bike, the one that belonged to someone I knew so well. Not there. I reached down subconsciously and put my hand on my phone, knowing that a call would make everything worse. I biked back and forth in front of the entrance a few times, wondering when my efforts would be rewarded. After half an hour of being foolish in the stubborn cold, I turned around and rode slowly away from the house, which now lay as depressing in my memory. Not ready yet to go home, I moved forwards to a secluded little park that I had only realized in the past few weeks existed. Leaning my bike against a sturdy little light-post guarding the park, I climbed up the little twisted-metal ladder, sighing as I leaned against the frozen metal bars and I closed my eyes. Well, for a few moments I closed my eyes. They snapped open when a rustling noise came out of the woods surrounding my little abandoned haven. I strained my eyes against the still-dark cloud of morning air, and I involuntarily shivered. Another snap of a branch, closer to where I sat then before. I looked hard through the trees against a lightening sky, not able to see anything. Sighing in frustration, I moved back farther into the plastic-covered child’s playhouse, leaning against the thick plastic walls and thinking that at least if it rained, I would be dry. I closed my eyes again. The morning was too early for much thinking. I heard a footstep on the metal ladder leading to where I hid. I pushed myself back farther into the corner, unsure still of who was there, and worried for it. Higher and higher the footstep noises rose, until I knew I would see the face of my pursuer next time the dull ringing came. In a burst, I heard several footfalls, and I knew that they had jumped a few rungs and would come into the house whether I wanted them to or not. I closed my eyes, regaining my composure, and when I opened them again, there he sat, only a foot away from me, hair wild and dark eyes shining. He was grinning.
“Hey,” he said moving closer to give me a hug.
“You came,” I breathed, and smiled, in spite of the cold.

MissSMS said...
MissSMS, Kevil, Kentucky

“-You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
-What mood is that?
-Last-minute panic.” - Calvin and Hobbes

haha, not a problem. Just do us all a favor, and post some more. :)

Hannah said...
on Feb. 21 2011 at 11:53 am
thanks :) i had forgotten i posted this

MissSMS said...
MissSMS, Kevil, Kentucky

-What mood is that?

Cutest story! I loved it from start to finish. Miss there was more though.