A Friend | Teen Ink

A Friend

By cdog22 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
cdog22 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

The main character gets bad grades and his parents are always on him for it. Sleep deprivation is controlling his life, and he can't do anything about it. Later in the story, A new girl named Lily moves into town and meets the boy. They understand each other so well and go on throughout the story growing close and helping eachother. This can only occur with a sacrifice though.

Chapter 1: A Friend

The restless nights kept my attention span minimal. Tossing and turning while my mind was all frisky. Days felt more like years of the same daily routine. School, work, no sleep, repeat.
    School sucked. My grades were plummeting because of my lack of sleep. My parents worried about me.
“If you don’t get your grades up, you’re gonna get a beatin’ son” my father screamed.
“Keep doing what you're doing and you won’t see no more allowance” My mother threatened.
The next day in class I fell asleep and was sent down to the principal's office where my mom was called to come in and have a talk. I had a deep hole in my stomach while waiting for her to arrive. As soon as she did, I knew I was in deep deep deep trouble. My mother explained to the principal how I haven’t been sleeping and how my grades were not going unnoticed.
    When we got home, my mother grounded me for a month. No more hanging with friends. Not that I had a lot any way.
    I tried some days just to stay focused but the sleep deprivation overcame everyone of my attempts to stay awake. I didn’t like coffee either which probably not even enough to keep me up anyways.
    I couldn’t wait for summer to free me from my misery. Staying up late, sleeping in, being lazy around the house. Oh how summer couldn’t come fast enough.
    There was this new girl in town named Lilly. She was in my art class for this semester. Lily didn’t talk much, or have many friends. She was a great student though. Only a student who I’d wish to be.
“Hey” I said quietly, trying not to frighten her as she studied her notes.
“Oh, hey” Lily responded with a slight smile that I had not quite seen before.
“I’m surprised you didn’t fall asleep in class today!” she joked.
“Ha ha yeah so am I, so when did you move here?”
“ Last month, from Virginia. My dad was transferred to another facility in the area so we had to move with him.”
“Beep beep!” My mother honked, interrupting the conversation. I left discontentedly.
    That night I couldn’t sleep again, but it felt different this time. The usual stress and fatigue aren’t what bothered me anymore. It felt more like excitement. Similar to when you can’t sleep on Christmas eve because you are so eager for tomorrow. Just like how I was wondering what was going to happen tomorrow as well.
    Lily and I began to talk a lot more in art. We just seemed to click with each other. She helped me with my math. I noticed my grades improving a little more too which was surprising in a positive way. For the first time in a long while I was getting good sleep. I felt more energetic during the day and my parents were proud of my hard work. I never got any more alone time after this started happening it seemed. I never got to stay up and think to myself all night. Also I was always talking to Lily. She was my best friend. I do miss alone time but if there is one thing I don’t miss, it’s the lethargy I had all time. Now I get to see my best friend every day, until summer comes I guess.

I hope readers will understand how important friends should be to them and how they should be a good friend to everybody.