The Cab Driver | Teen Ink

The Cab Driver

By Terd_Ferguson BRONZE, Pwell, Michigan
Terd_Ferguson BRONZE, Pwell, Michigan

It was a typical day for cab driver Evan Brody. A day which includes Evan driving around multiple strangers, most of which Evan will never see again. A day that what just about over, because the clock just struck 3:30 which signaled th end of Evans shift. All he had to do was drop his cab off at the station, then he was free to go home to his beautiful wife and two children. Evan was driving about 40 miles an hour as he approached the top of a hill, and as far as he could see, everything looked clear. But it’s what Evan couldn’t see, that contained the problem.

Just on the other side of the hill was a small compact car. It’s clear the driver of this car wasn’t paying any attention at all. For she was occupying the middle of the road, hovering directly over the double yellow line which separated the two lanes. And to the left of this car was a family. A family of six, taking a walk on the beautiful summer day.

As Evan approached the top of the hill the car and the family entered his line of sight. Time seemingly stood still for Evan. He knew he was going to hit something, but he had to make a choice of which one.

On one hand, he could hit the family, which would give him the better chance of survival, but undoubtedly kill a few of the family members. On the other hand he could hit the car. Evan knew that if he hit the car he had a better chance to survive, but on the other hand, so did the other car.

Evan made his choice, he veered to the left, heading towards the speeding car.

Later that day Evan lied in his hospital bed, and tried to regain consciousness. He was surrounded by doctors and nurses, as well as the family whose lives he spared. The room was filled with anxiety. Everyone in the room was praying for Evans well being. Suddenly, Evan woke up, and the tension was erased by an overwhelming sensation of joy. Shrieks of happiness could be heard throughout the halls of the hospital.

“Sir,” the father of the family exclaimed,” I cannot express my gratitude towards you, that was a selfless act, and you have all of my thanks.” But Evan clearly didn’t care what the man had to say,

“Doctor,” Evan said.

“Yes Evan,” the doctor replied.

“The other car, what happened to it’s passengers?” Evan asked with sincerity.

“Well Evan, their car took the blunt of the damage, and the other passengers weren’t quite as fortunate as you,”

“Do you mean?”

“Yes, they’re no longer with us.” Tears formed in Evans eyes. “But Evan, you don’t understand, the car was in the middle of the lane, it wasn’t your fault,” the doctor stated, as he tried attempted to take the burden off Evans shoulders.

“No Doctor! You don’t understand!” Evan shouted back at the doctor with rage. And Evan was right, the doctor didn’t understand. But the doctor didn’t see what Evan saw, he didn’t know, what Evan knew. The doctor didn’t see the look on the other drivers face, as she drove towards death. And the doctor didn’t see the two children, playing patty-cake in the back seat. And the doctor didn’t know, that Evan knew the passengers in the other car. The doctor didn’t know, that the passengers in the other car, were Evans family. The one’s he never got to say goodbye to, and the ones he would never get too see again. The ones he loved.

Written very rushed.

Alison SILVER said...
on Apr. 18 2009 at 12:51 am
Alison SILVER, Newton, Massachusetts
It's a very good story. You used a lot of commas but other than that it's amazing. Great job.