Short story | Teen Ink

Short story

May 10, 2017
By Mattiemae BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
Mattiemae BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mom. That’s all I wanted. My mom. I wanted to hug her, to be in her arms and hear comforting words in her loving voice. I wanted to be with her and my sister in the peace of our own home and all that it contained: the smell of lavender and fabric softener in the air, the feeling of warmth on my skin. But I would never feel that again.
At 5 years old,I spoke her name more than anyone elses’ by far: Mama, Mommy, Mom. Most of the time I used it in the form of song to communicate with her. “Mama, just killed a man. Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger now he’s dead”, echoed through our house at least five times a day, usually in the form of her voice or mine as opposed to Freddie Mercury’s. She had a beautiful voice and I thought she could sing the b flat towards the end of the song better than anyone else.
I felt guilty after the last time I saw her because, “Mama, I didn’t mean to make you cry”. I really didn’t mean to, but she still did. Without her in my life, I truly understood feeling like “I don’t want to die. I sometimes wish I’d never been born at all.” I didn’t want to die, but I didn’t want to be in this life anymore.
These were all very extreme thoughts for someone so young, but I didn’t know what else to think. I wanted a normal life. I didn’t want all the pain and confusion that came along with this new life. I didn’t want to sleep under bridges and believe the lies my sister told me for her own reassurance, saying that we’d be okay.
I suppose she photographed the graffiti I made to my mother in the train station because she thought it was sweet, maybe a way of coping. But it was really my impossible means of communication. I’d hope Mama would see it and come find me. But she hasn’t. I’m still waiting.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for an english narrative assignment and I actually think it's one of the best pieces I've written.