A Letter to an Old Pal | Teen Ink

A Letter to an Old Pal

May 2, 2017
By o.j.simpson BRONZE, Social Circle, Georgia
o.j.simpson BRONZE, Social Circle, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Writer’s Block,


It’s not you, it’s me. I know that this is coming as a surprise, but I believe that it’s time for us to go our separate ways, such as Journey recommended. I’m not happy, and haven’t been in awhile. We’re just no good together, and I need to accept that it’s not going to get better. You see, you’ve caught me in a vulnerable state. I had just gotten out of a rotten relationship with Creativity, and you were a much needed break. I must admit, at first it was good; no more sleepless nights locked in frustration, nothing but utter relaxation. And although this felt great, I couldn’t help but submerge in guilt every time we spent time together, as if I were doing Creativity wrong. That feeling was easy to push to the side, but the more we began to dally the larger it grew until my stomach nearly ate itself. I had important deadlines to reach, and you were not helping me. You began to take control over the relationship. Each time I tried to open my computer and spew the words drifting in my head you shut me down completely; I was expected to give all my attention to you, and I did. But each time I let you have control over the relationship, you had control over me; the worse I felt and more isolated I became, the happier you were.


But as I already declared, I am not laying all of the blame onto you. In fact, I blame myself for what has become of us… for what has become of me. I was the one who didn’t fight back but lay stranded, guilty. I was the reason I lost all my passion. As cliche as it sounds, I’m different now, and I will never be that person again. Being around you is just too tempting, too scary. I’m afraid I’ll let myself fall into the shell I have finally escaped, and I can’t take that chance. I believe I can’t see you anymore. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
          Love,
           Annie


The author's comments:

I found the prompt online while scrambling to compose 35 pages of creative writing.