Faith | Teen Ink

Faith

By AnnaMcGrath BRONZE, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
AnnaMcGrath BRONZE, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

It was 7:06am when I realized I slept in. I threw the blanket off the bed and banged on my roommate, John’s, door. We also work at the same building in New Work City. It’s cheaper to live here in New Jersey than in the nasty city of rude people.
I jumped in the shower, not caring if it was cold or not. I need to get to work by 8:00am otherwise I will have missed the very important meeting for our latest new design.
“Are you ready yet?” I screamed after I threw my clothes on.
I heard a bang on the wall which indicated he was up and ready. I stretched and groaned like a bear. Then I stuffed my face with a bagel and rushed out the door. We hopped in the car and I tried to start it. Hopefully if I take the Lincoln tunnel, we’ll just be at least ten minutes late.
“Not again.” I muttered.
“Maybe if we call a taxi?” John offered.
I shook my head. The car was not starting and there is no way I was going to wait for a taxi. They can take up to thirty minutes to get here. I don’t need to be even later to work than I will already be. It was as if faith wasn’t on our side.
“That’s too long. You have to be there at 8:30, and I have to be there an hour before you.” I said. “This isn’t going to be a good day.”
“Maybe get a plane.” John joked.
“Planes crash, so no.” I remarked.
After a while John finally called a cab for us. I’m not so thrilled about riding in one but at least I will get to work. Even if I’m late to the meeting.  After waiting for a good fifteen minutes I decided to call my boss to enlighten him of my soon to be tardy.
“Hello, this is Mr. Keoghs office” Trinity said.
“Trinity, Its Elli, tell Mr. Keogh that I might not make it in today. I have been having car troubles.” I said.
“Of course Ellis, I’ll tell him you won’t make it in on time.” She chimed.
“Thank you, have a good day.” I said.
I closed my phone and watched as the taxi turned onto our road. It looked really broken down and rusty. On the side of the vehicle was Joe’s Taxi Service. We hopped into the cab and I sighed. Felt like karma is getting back at me all at once.
“Where to?” The man said.
“Down West Street please.” I answered.
We drove off down the highway. It was already 8:40am. The car smelled like cigarettes and lemons. Not an appealing combination. I could already see the two buildings we were heading to. I sighed in relief. Not too long now. I guess time just creeps up on me.
I stared at the two buildings in admiration. Amazing how unique they both were. The buildings looked as big as two bridges. Maybe one day I will be able to design a building just as big and admirable as those two. I definitely ain’t no Frank Gehry.
“At least we can buy Mr. Keogh some donuts to bribe him.” John joked. “Kelly is selling some on the 24th floor.”
“Let’s hope that will work.” I laughed.
As I was watching the buildings, I saw something in the distance. It looked like an eagle flying towards one of the buildings. Then again, it didn’t look much like an eagle. It was so much larger than an eagle.
“John, do you see that?” I asked. “Looks like a bird.”
I pointed towards the flying object. Heading towards the north building.
“Oh no, Ellis that’s a plane!” He screamed.
Suddenly the car roared to a stop on the side of the road next to the river overlooking the city. The north tower was hit at 8:45am.
“Please Lord, bless those poor souls.” The driver whispered.
Several people stopped their cars to get a better look as to what just happened. Like it was just a figment of our imagination. I just stared out the window in despair. John was frantically calling everyone he knew in the building. I was in complete shock to move. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought something so horrible could happen.
“Please just get out of the building, no need to save the paperwork, save yourself!” John screamed into the phone.
I finally grabbed my phone and flipped it open to dial Kelly’s number. She is on a much lower floor. I prayed she would pick up but no answer. I felt panic run across me. John already called all of our friends that worked with us. They were in the process of evacuating.
At 9:05am the south tower had been hit by another plane. Our hearts dropped as we watched in horror. There was absolutely nothing we could have done to save them. I shuddered.
Then I just realized something that made me happy. If John and I weren’t late to work, we would have been dead. We wouldn’t have had the time to leave because we were near the very top floor. We would have been doomed to our deaths. I was so thankful that we were late to work. It was as if faith was on our side all this time.
“I guess we won’t be late for work after all.” I whispered. 

I was inspired by my friend to write this because she was actually born on 9/11 and she was in New York at the time.