Pursuing Yanni | Teen Ink

Pursuing Yanni

March 21, 2017
By Anonymous

INT. MIRACLE’S BEDROOM – AFTER SCHOOL

MIRACLE YOUNG sits on her bed, twiddling with her computer as her best friend TAZIA BINIY sits and stares at her.
TAZ
You stalking Yani again?

MIRACLE
Aint nobody stalking her Tazia!

TAZ
      (mockingly)
You don’t gotta lie to me Mir, I know you loveeee her. You want to kiss her huh Mir? You creepy for real.

MIRACLE
Get out. Go home Tazia

TAZ
What you putting me out for? I’m just telling the truth.

MIRACLE
Because that’s embarrassing! To be in love with a girl that doesn’t even like you! She practically hates me!

Taz rolls her eyes and plops on the bed next to a distraught Miracle. Miracle plops onto her bed and stares at the ceiling fan above her.
MIRACLE (cont.)
Its weird how much I think about her! Have you seen that girl!? God reaaally took his time with her. The lord basically carved her, he was all like “Oh no angels, I got this one! She’s gonna make girls hearts stop!”

RAINA
(laughs hysterically)
Miracle she’s not all that to be going crazy over. Calm down, its plenty more fish in the sea. You wanna go out to Phoenix’ party tomorrow night and look around for your new girl?

TAZ
    (gasps and puts hand on heart)
That’s betrayal! How could you say that Taz? That girl is mine! I don’t want none of them nasty, STD infested fish! No thank you and Phoenix has nothing but STD infested fish at her parties, her being one of them.

TAZ
What if I told you YANI would be there?

MIRACLE
Well, I wouldn’t know. She blocked me…

TAZ
What? No she didn’t? When did she do this?

MIRACLE
Yesterday, I finally took you and Janae’s advice and followed her and she blocked me!


TAZ
I told you not to do it Miracle! First of all, why would you listen to no boyfriend having Janae?

MIRACLE
I don't know Taz! I just did it without thinking. It was stupid.

                          TAZ
You think? So now when you see her at the party or at school tomorrow it's gonna be weird! Omg Mir why would you follow her?

MIRACLE
(sighs)
I just told you Tazia! I just wanted to see if she'd follow me back. You already know she hates me.

TAZ
That girl does not hate you Miracle. You guys just have a bad history.

MIRACLE
That's why she hates me! I'm about to call her give me your phone!

TAZ
(grabs her phone)
Hell no Mir, you better sit your crazy self down somewhere! I'm not letting you call her!

MIRACLE
(reaches for TAZIA’S phone)
TAZIA give me the phone! I need to call her!

TAZ
I swear fo’ beans Mir if you don't sit down I'm decking you right in your face!

MIRACLE
(gasps dramatically)
You just threatened me!

TAZ
Because you're being stupid and crazy.

MIRACLE
(takes a deep breath)
Yeah, you're right. Let me calm down.

TAZ
If you feel like you're going into one of those moods over this let me know Mir.

MIRACLE
(smiles)
I’ll be fine Taz.

Miraclesits on her bed, scrolling on Yanni’s social media page and thinks herself into a sadness. Tazia had left an hour of two ago, leaving Miracle alone. Miracle brushes her thumb against Yanni’s contact name in her phone but doesn't press the dial button…

INT – GORDON LONE HIGH – FRIDAY

Miracle walks down her school hallways with Tazia by her side.

               TAZ
Have you seen Yanni yet?

               MIRACLE
               (pouts)
Yes! I saw her with Raina.

              TAZ
What? Your girlfriend is cheating on you with your ex? That's crazy.

                MIRACLE
Not the time for jokes Tazia, I'm about to go say something!

Miracle walks a few steps to the two girls in fury but Taz pulls her back just in time. The two girls notice her but don't say a word.

TAZ
No you will not, absolutely not. My best friend is not getting suspended before prom. If you want to smack her you do it after prom, I need you to be my date and buy me food.

MIRACLE
(speaks solemnly)
I don't want to see them, can we just go?

TAZ
No we cannot, don't let them run you out of here. We have one more class left and then we can go get ready for this party.

MIRACLE
I'm no-

TAZ
(cuts MIRACLE off)
You're going, I don't care how you feel. I don't care if Yanni’s going to be there. You're going and I'll pick you up at 7:30 so be ready.

MIRACLE
Tazia I'm not go-

TAZ
(cuts MIRACLE off again)
Bye, Mir. I'll be waiting by your locker so we can go. Don't let YANNI distract you from your work okay?
Miracle rolls her eyes but nods and walks to her class in deep thought.

INT – PSYCHOLOGY CLASS – 10 AM


Miracle is seated at the far back of the class while Yanni is seated towards the front. Miracle watches Yanni intently while she takes notes.

Yanni, 17, burgundy thick hair, caramel skin feels Miracle staring in her direction but doesn't turn around.


                  MIRACLE
                 (to herself)
Stop staring, Miracle… Stop staring…

Yanni turns around and locks eyes with Miracle but soon breaks away.

                  MIRACLE
Oh my gosh! Why why why why… MIRACLE calm down, calm down. Breathe.

Miracle taps her pen on her desk and stares at the clock for the next half hour until the bell rings.

EXT – GORDON LONE HIGH PARKING LOT

TAZ
How was class? Did you stare at her all class and get nervous when she looked at you?

MIRACLE
You hit it right on the nose, you're so annoying.

TAZ
Aww, you were being a creepy creep?

Suddenly Miracle hides behind a large pole that sits out front of the school once she sees Yanni coming in their direction.

          TAZ
Miracle what are you do-

         YANNI
Hey Tazia, are you going to PHOENIX’S party tonight?

         TAZ
Yeah, why?

         YANNI
She wanted me to come over here and ask. Is Miracle going?

      TAZ
I don’t know, maybe. Why?

YANNI
I was curious, she's always staring. Does she have a problem with me?

         TAZ
I don't know, you should ask her.

        YANNI
Nah, I don't want it to be weird.
TAZ
      (whispers)
Can't get any weirder than it is already.

INT – MIRACLE’S ROOM – 6:00PM

Miracle searches around her room in a towel for something to wear for the party.

MIRACLE  
(holds a dress up to herself)
No, too skanky.

MIRACLE (cont.)
I can't find anything, that's it. I'm not going! But… I want Yanni to see how good I look. Okay yeah, I'm going.

The door opens causing Miracle to jump but she notices it's Tazia, hair tied up, dressed in a sweater dress with lace up boots.

            TAZ
I knew you wouldn't be dressed, you can't find anything?

           MIRACLE
Of course not, can you close the door? Got the whole house seeing my goodies!

           TAZ
(shuts bedroom door and rolls eye)
Shut up psycho, now watch out so I can help you find something to wear.

          MIRACLE
      (sits on her bed)
I just want to look good for Yanni.

            TAZ
(pulls clothes out of the closet)
Why? You said she hates you and she so called doesn't wanna talk to you. Stop being a looney toon Mir, you don't even wanna talk to her and like I always say when in dou-

           MIRACLE
When in doubt go without, I know Tazia.

             TAZ
I taught you well my bestie.

               MIRACLE
I think I feel myself slipping into a mood TAZ.

                 TAZ
           (sits next to MIRACLE)
Do you want to stay home? I can stay and watch movies with you.

                MIRACLE
No, no. I need to get out and have some fun. Did you find an outfit yet?

                 TAZ
         (hands MIRACLE her outfit)
Of course we have to match. Put this on and get all cute for all those STD infested fish.

                 MIRACLE
       (laughs lightly and gets dressed)
Yeah, I can't wait to see all those nasty fish. I'm kinda nervous to be honest with you TAZ.

                  TAZ
I know MIR, but you know I'll be with you all night.

                 MIRACLE
I don't need a bodyguard Tazia but that would make me happy.

                  TAZ
No, Yanni’s gonna need a bodyguard from you psycho.

                  MIRACLE
Yeah whatever, lets go before I change my mind.

INT – PHOENIX’S HOUSE PARTY – 9:00PM

Miracle and Taz sit side by side laughing with canned sodas in their hands while everyone dances around.

Yanni stands by Raina, long brown French braids and mocha colored skin. Dressed in an auburn turtle neck dress and black conversed. Yanni glances at Miracle meeting her eyes.

               YANNI
Why must she always stare?

               RAINA
She must like you, maybe you should ask.

               YANNI
No, I don’t want to make it any weirder than it is now. I'll just keep my distance.

               RAINA
I'll ask her for you. Don't worry, I'll be nice.

               YANNI
I don't think that's a good idea RAINA.
               RAINA
You don't worry your pretty little head, I got this.

              YANNI
             (sighs)
Fine.

               RAINA
  (walks towards MIRACLE and TAZ)

CAMERA follows Raina and shows the back of her head but also shows Taz and Miracle.

              MIRACLE
          (rolls her eyes)
Why is she coming over here?

                TAZ
I don't know but I will smack her if she gets out of line.

                RAINA
         (shouts over the music)
Hey, I just came over to ask you a quick question Miracle.

               MIRACLE
Okay, what is it?

               RAINA
Do you like Yanni? She said it makes her uncomfortable when you stare.

              MIRACLE
Nope and no ones staring at anyone.

               RAINA
Well I just wanted it to be clear that she obviously doesn't want you and that she would never. You guys don't have a good history at all so just keep it that way.

CAMERA turns towards Raina’s face and shows a devilish smirk but turns towards Miracle and shows tears welling up in her eyes.
     TAZ
What did you just say? If Yanni wanted to say all that she should've came over here and said it herself! Wasn’t a need to send her minion over here!

               RAINA
I came over here willingly Tazia, no need to get loud. Yanni and I don't appreciate the way your psycho friend is staring at my girlfriend.

                TAZ
        (chuckles in disbelief)
Your girlfriend? You hear this bull Mir?

In an instant Miracle gets up and storms towards Yanni in fury. This is becoming too much for Miracle to bear. She needs to say something, its now or never. 

              MIRACLE
Can I speak to you outside?

Miracle stand in front of Yanni with a look of pain and fury in her eyes all at once, not a bit of nervousness shows for the first time. 

               YANNI
I don't need to speak to you about anything Miracle. She said what needed to be said. I don’t have feelings for you and I don’t think I ever will if you want me to be honest. I’m tired of talking about this and I’m tired of feeling you burning a hole into my face! There’s nothing you can do or say to make me change the way I feel so just not speak at all.

               MIRACLE
Well it's time for me to speak, I'm in love with you YANNI and I'm tired of hiding it. I know what we went through but I'm tired of it! I want to be with you but you hate me and that's alright but I won't be disrespected by you or anyone else. I know our history but I personally don't care, blocking me was childish in my opinion and even though I was checking up on your social media every now and then that doesn't give you a reason to do something like that and hurt my feelings. All I do is consider your feelings and think about you. I think about you 24/7 and it kills me. Do you even care?! You don't care about me! I don't even care about me! All I care about is you Yanni! I don't even value my own self… I think about things that don’t even make sense like leaving this earth sometimes because if I can’t be with you than what’s the point of being here? Why am I even talking to you? You hate me and you know what… I hate you too.

Leaving Yanni speechless she runs out of the party and flees down the street with tears cascading down her face.

CAMERA becomes blurry and lights swirl around as you hear Miracle’s heavy breathing and crying. BLUR in CAMERA becomes worse. A car horn and screeching of tires is heard. CAMERA goes black.


Taz’s voice and screams along with sirens are heard. CAMERA slowly comes back to color as Taz’s shown crying and screaming, a crowd is formed around Miracle’s body.

INT – HOSPITAL LOBBY - 2:45 AM

Monitors beeping and hushed voices are heard, CAMERA zeros on Taz as she speaks.

TAZ
           (sobs quietly)
We were at Phoenix’s party and we were having a good time until her ex, Raina came over and was talking about Yanni so Mir went over to say something to Yanni. She was over there crying and yelling about something and ran out. I ran after her and was calling her name but she couldn't hear me and that's when the car came and hi- hit her. This is all my fault! I should've never dragged her to this party!
  
MRS. YOUNG
    (wipes her tears and hugs Taz)
It's not your fault Tazia, it's no one’s fault. I told MIRACLE not to get herself into a situation with those girls.

TAZIA
Raina is just drama and Yanni is not. She’s a very sweet girl but she doesn’t see Miracle in the light. After having bad blood with someone you wouldn’t want to be surrounded with that person and Mir just didn’t understand and I never wanted to hurt her feelings so I never said anything.


MRS. YOUNG
I tried telling her that myself. Does Yanni know about Miracle’s prior situation and her state right now?

TAZIA
No, I could talk to her about it if you’d like? I wanted to ask how you felt first. Did you get an update or anything?

MRS. YOUNG
No, I haven’t but I hope to get one soon.

TAZIA
Well, I’ll stay here with you. I already talked to Ma about it and she said it was fine and that she’d be here after work.
Tazia lays on Mrs. Young’s shoulder as they both silently cry and comfort one another.

MRS. YOUNG
(weakly)
Lord, please protect my baby.


INT – HOSPITAL – 3:00PM

Miracle lays on the bed, tubes connected to her mouth and nose. Bandages wrapped around her head as she lays unconscious. She hears and feels everything around her but cannot move. The room is cold and dreary, the door is shut causing it to be dark and lifeless. The only sounds are from the beeping of the machines. Tazia and Mrs. Young had gone to the cafeteria, they had been there all night. The door opens and reveals Yanni, hair tied into a tight bun, thick black glasses and plain black t-shirt. She looks towards Miracle and tears well up into her eyes, she covers her mouth and lets out a soft sigh.

  YANNI
(to herself)
How could this happen?

She walks slowly towards the bed and runs her hand over Miracle’s arm and exhales deeply. She sits at the chair by the bed and watches her intently, the way her chest rises and falls and the simple details on her face like the small missing patch in her left eyebrow.

YANNI
                (sighs and wipes tears)
I don’t know if you can hear me or not but I just wanted to apologize to you. I wanted to tell you how deeply sorry I am; I feel like I’m the cause for this. I caused you physical and emotion pain. I caused your family and Tazia physical pain and I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for not considering how you feel. I kept listening to Raina and I let her put bugs in my ear about you, I let our past affect the present. When you said you hated me it hit me. It looked like you meant it, when I ran out and saw your body lying there that hit me as well. I couldn’t process anything because it happened so fast and I cried all night because I didn’t know what happened to you…

YANNI takes a second to collect herself and to breathe. She inhales slowly and exhales slowly as well. As time passes by she begins to pray silently to herself and soon after Mrs. Young and Tazia walk into the room.

                            TAZIA
Yanni, you're here? Hi, how you holding up?

                            YANNI
I should be asking you that. But, I feel like this is all my fault.

                            MRS. YOUNG
Sweetie, it's no ones fault. I know I haven't met you but I've heard a lot about you and just by looking at your face I could tell you wouldn't do anything like that.
   
                            YANNI
I feel like it is, Miracle wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for me. You guys wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for me. Miracle is a beautiful girl and I've always noticed that but I never payed attention to how much I changed her. Because I never tried listening to her, I always shut her out. I always tried running away from her and fighting her because I felt like she took the love of my life away but he was just playing me, he played the both of of and I didn't realize that. I don’t even know what I'm saying…
    
                            MRS. YOUNG
So you're saying that you realized everything you haven't before because you were so infuriated about a guy that was playing the both of you and instead of Miracle not wanting to be around you she grew a liking to you.
                            YANNI
Yes, exactly. I don’t know what to think. I feel terrible, I feel broken and I don't understand why. I would like to forget about the past and maybe become friends with Miracle if you guys allow it and most importantly her.

All three of them look towards Miracle as she lays still and unconscious. They don't talk for a while, they all sit in a comfortable silence until a doctor enters the room, mocha complexion, curly hair tied into a bun and glasses on her face with a warm smile. They all immediately s*** towards her direction and wait for her to begin speaking.

                         DR. ANDREWS
Hello ladies, I'm Dr. Andrews. I'll be helping Miracle get back to recovery.

                          MRS. YOUNG
             (stands to shake Dr. Andrews’ hand)
Hello, I'm her mother, Nina.

                          DR. ANDREWS
                 (shakes Mrs Young’s hand firmly)
Nice to meet you, I suppose you too are good friends of Miracle’s?

Dr. Andrews gestures towards Yanni and Tazia causing them to nod and stand.

                           TAZIA
Hi, I'm Taz and this is Yanni. Do you have good news about Mir?

                         DR. ANDREWS
Well, here it says she's in a coma. Has she moved at all since yesterday? If she's moved or made any sounds at all she'd be in the vegetative state.

                          MRS. YOUNG
Unfortunately no, we’ve all been talking to her since she's got here. How long do you think she'll be in the coma?

                          DR. ANDREWS
There honestly is no telling. It's all up to Miracle and her body. The only thing we can really do is pray and wait.

                           YANNI
I can't believe this.

                         DR. ANDREWS
Some patients while in a coma can hear everything around them but can't respond. So just continue talking to her and praying to her. I'll give you guys some updates after we do scans of her brain and work out way from there. Alright?

All three women nod and Dr.Andrews nods with a assuring smile and turns to leave.

INT – HOSPITAL – WEEK TWO 8AM

                         TAZIA
I can't wait to see her face when she wakes up and sees you Yanni. She's gonna freak out.

                       MRS. YOUNG

I just want to hear her talk, I want to hear why she ran out and why but most importantly I want to hear her voice. I miss my daughter…
                    TAZIA
I miss her too. I know she's a fighter and I know her intention wasn't to hurt herself she just wanted to get away from the situation.
                    YANNI
She wanted to get away from me… I think she got angry and embarrassed because I wasn't saying anything or because I didn't stop her, she said she hated me… She thought I hated her but I didn't. I never said I hated her. I feel so bad and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Mrs. Young and Tazia get up to hug her and comfort her, they begin to cry softly and comfort one another.

                    MRS. YOUNG
It is not your fault baby. I want you to stop blaming yourself for this. It is absolutely no ones fault, God works in mysterious ways and this may be a heartbreaking situation, as is for all of us but no one is at fault for this. Alright? I haven't known you for long but I know you would never intentionally hurt my daughter no matter what happened in the past.

                    YANNI
I just can't get the sound of her voice out of my head. The way she looked when she said every word and how mad she looked coming my way. I can't get that out of my head. I hurt her to the core and I didn't even know, I didn't she felt that way towards me. I always thought she didn't like me because of how she looked at me and how she always followed me on social media, I thought that was a way of her being rude or something… I didn't know.

They all sit and think, silently Yanni stands and walks towards Miracle and rubs her hand down her face softly.

Miracle lays in the bed still unconscious but as Yanni’s hand caresses her face the moment of the party flashes into her mind causing her body and mind to go into a shock. Her heart rate increases rapidly and her body begins to convulse. Yanni removes her hand quickly and bolts out of the room for a nurse or doctor.
                  
                     YANNI
                   (yelling)
Nurse! I need some help in here! She's having a seizure!

                                                        CUT TO: INT - HOSPITAL LOBBY

The three women were left outside of the lobby fidgeting and scared. No one spoke, they all silently waited, silently sniffled and silently prayed. 3 hours had gone by before Dr. Andrews came out with a look of sorrow on her face. They all knew that look but didn't want to believe it. They all stand nervously.

                   MRS. YOUNG
Is she alright? Please tell me she's alright…

                   DR. ANDREWS
She is in very critical condition, it's up to you to either keep her on life support or pull the plug.

Miracle appears beside Dr. Andrews but no one notices her, she looks around confused.
                    MIRACLE
What are you talking about? I'm right here! I'm alive and well guys, look at me!
                    TAZIA
Oh my god, no! My best friend needs to be alive and well! Please save her Dr. Andrews!

                    MIRACLE
Taz! I'm right here! I'm fine!

                    DR. ANDREWS
We’ve tried all we could.

                  MRS. YOUNG
I guess we're going to have to let God take control of this but I'm absolutely leaving her on life support. No questions asked. My daughter is not dying.
                
                 MIRACLE
Mama! I'm right here! Look at me! Why can't you look at me?

Miracle snaps in her mothers face and claps but she keeps her head down… she can't hear her or see her. Miracle is her soul out of her own body.

              MIRACLE (cont.)
She can't hear me… Am I dead? No… no I can't be! What have I done?

 

 

       
        TO BE CONTINUED ON PURSUING YANNI…
 


The author's comments:

This story was inspired by a situation I've went through. I was in love with someone that I had bad blood with. We dated the same guy, he cheated on me with her and made us become friends. We became friends and some big arguement happened between us so we stopped being friends, I should've known it wouldn't have worked. I fell in love with her but never got to express my feelings like my character Miracle did so I made her be able to do something I wish I could.