Changes | Teen Ink

Changes

By coltenjoness SILVER, Amissville, Virginia
coltenjoness SILVER, Amissville, Virginia

Hey are you up? Thomas shifted in his bed and sat up. He saw his mother standing in the doorway. She was a tall woman with dark brown hair and brown eyes. You need to get up and get ready we’re leaving in 30 minutes we can't be late again said his mother before leaving his room. After a brief moment Thomas let out a heavy sigh and reluctantly climbed out of bed. Making his way towards the kitchen he smelled the scent of burnt coffee and heard the radio broadcasting the weather.

After having breakfast Thomas made his way through their small two bedroom apartment back to his room and turned on his radio listening to his favorite rapper Tupac. Looking at the clock he realized he had ten more minutes to get ready. Quickly putting on his favorite hoodie a pair of blue jeans and his beat up jordans that his brother had given him two years ago before he moved out. Thomas heard his mother outside calling for him, grabbing his backpack and cell phone Thomas ran to the door and out to the car where his mother was waiting. Stepping outside he felt the cold wind blowing on his face.

Getting in his mother's old rigidity volkswagon he threw his backpack in the back seat and buckled up. Hey are you okay? Asked his mother. Looking down at his worn out shoes, yea I'm fine replied Thomas. Okay what's wrong? asked his mother in a concerned voice. I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate makes disgrace to races replied Thomas. After a moment of silence his mother replied what? with worry in her voice. Ugh replied Thomas, I'm just so tired of all the hate we gotta start making changes! I want them to learn to see me as a brother instead of two distant strangers and that's how it's supposed to be. With tears beginning to roll down his mother's cheeks she managed to say I know it's hard but you have to remember that no matter what anyone says to you, everyone is the same and we all are equal.

Most of the cops don't care about us it ain't a secret,don't conceal the fact that the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks said Thomas beginning to get frustrated. Looking out the window at the cloudy sky his mother softly said I'm sorry, I'm sorry you've grown up in a world polluted with hate, I'm sorry you have to deal with the hate it's not fair, it's not fair to you, me, or anyone but we just have to keep hoping for the best and try not to contribute to the hate.