Mourning a loss | Teen Ink

Mourning a loss

By Retter BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Retter BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

It was only seven o'clock when I started exploring. My friend Gabe and I are just strolling around in the woods behind my house. I knew the woods like it was the back of my hand. Gabe is an arrogant 18-year-old boy with brown eyes, a pale complexion, and straight brown hair about to his eyebrows. He is , of average weight, and wears very colorful clothing.  He gets lost very easily, and looks deceptively innocent. Me, i’m 17-years-old and have a Rainbow colored mohawk; With a very adventurous, free, and creative mind and personality.

I’ve known gabe for all of my life now and he’s been through it all with me. We love to explore but gabe gets lost everywhere we go. I’ve been to the Appalachian Mountains, the Poconos, and even the Grand Canyon with Gabe. He has never been lost before because he’s with me and I have great recall of location.We met in our first year of kindergarten, and after that it's just been the best times i've ever had.

My Dad is really into carpentry so he built a treehouse and put camouflage around it so no one can see it. Me and gabe were walking to the tree house and it looks like its been uncovered with people inside. “There shouldn't be people in there right?” “So who are they?” “Let's go back and get your dad just incase.” “Hey get down from there!!! He said abruptly.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! In only a few seconds so much has happened. I ran home to call the cops immediately with gabe following. We were both trembling with goosebumps. “My dad has been shot.” I said worriedly to the officer. The cops soon then get to the house and start looking for the people who had done this to my dad. This is easily the worst day of my life. Gabe has been a great help to help me to cope with everything.

A week has passed and they still haven't found the killers. My mom is taking it very hard but we are both there for eachother. My mom signed me up for counseling for my father's death. Two years have passed and the police have found my father's killer. The same cop came to my house and said “do you remember me? I’m the cop that first arrived when the incident happened in the woods with your father. I'm sorry for your loss. How are you doing with that anyway?” “Well i've been going to counseling ever since and i'm much better now thanks for asking.” “Well we have found your father's killer after so long, but it seems like he's already incarcerated in the most protected jail in the United States.”

After hearing the news about my dad I didn't know what to do. So many feelings and memories appeared.Your parents are here to help you become a responsible adult and start your own life and have a family just as they did. That's all your parents want to see is you growing up correctly and being successful in life. If you have a dream accomplish it and strive toward it. Even when life throws a pile of poop at you, you still get up and fight.