The Dive | Teen Ink

The Dive

March 15, 2017
By Angelo77 BRONZE, North Tonawanda, New York
Angelo77 BRONZE, North Tonawanda, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was a warm summer day, and I was at an amusement park.  My family and I went to a show to see expert divers dive off of the highest diving board in the world.  It was crazy.  They were doing tricks and flips and still having perfect ten dives.  I decided that I wanted to get on the diving board and just jump.  I knew how to do a dive.  I just wanted to get famous have my face in the paper and on the news.  So, I ripped my shirt off, pushed through the crowd, and jumped over the security barrier. 
I heard whistles and people screaming and yelling.  I tried to block it out.  I got pushed by a security guard and hit the concrete hard.  I told  the man that I was just a teenager so he shouldn’t push me like that.  Then I sprung to my feet.  I ran to the ladder.  I was running to escape the security and get to the diving board as quickly as possible.  When I climbed the ladder, my heart was pounding because of my nerves and the fact that I was running as fast as I could.  I  was starting to reconsider when I reached the top of the diving board. 
I smelled the chlorine all the way up where I was.  It was hot outside, but there was a bit of a breeze.  I felt the refreshing breeze against my back.  I was about to jump when I noticed a security guard running up the ladder with his taser in hand.  I also noticed that I never took off my shoes and socks off.  I took them off as quick as I could, and I dropped them on the man climbing up the ladder to restrain and arrest me.  He fell immediately.  I didn’t want to kill him, so I suddenly became even more nervous and a little panicked.  Thank goodness the large group of security caught the injured man. 
He cracked his forehead and was bleeding pretty bad.  He ran back to the ladder and started climbing back up it. This man was crazy!  He was probably running on pure adrenaline.  I really wanted to dive off the diving board.  I took a deep breath.  My feet were burning on the high diving board.  Right before I had a chance to jump,someone had one arm around my throat and his hand on my wrist.  
He yelled “Stop it,  kid!  You almost killed me!  You're not a professional.  If you jump, you might die!  I don’t want a teen to die when I could save him.”
“Shut up!” I screamed.
“You should respect authority, young man.”
“You're starting to sound like my father.”
“Kid, you're the one who should shut up.”
  I turned around I saw his bloody battered face. He looked terrible.  He also looked very angry. He twisted and wrenched my arm.
“Listen to me. Next time you talk back to me boy, I am going to break your arm.”
“Sorry, sir.”  I headbutted him right in the nose. “Psych.”
I did the sign of the cross and then jumped off the high dive.  Like I said earlier, I know how to dive.  However, when I jumped, all of the sudden, I forgot how to dive.  I felt myself sweating and tensing up while I was in the air.  What was I thinking?  I must be insane. I thought about what could happen if I couldn’t remember how to dive. It was a quick descent down to the water.  The smell of the chlorine was getting stronger.  I started praying.  But, the next thing I saw was black.  I felt my body go numb, and I felt the air leave my body. “Where am I?” I thought.
I woke up connected to a bunch of machines in a hospital bed.  I couldn’t tell if this was a nightmare or reality.  “What am I doing here?” I thought.
I heard a doctor saying that my lungs collapsed and my heart stopped because of the impact.  The only thing that felt real now was pain, mostly physical pain but emotional as well.  I didn’t know that one stupid decision like that could change my life so significantly.
A year later, I fully recovered.  It was a miracle.  The doctors only thought I would live a few days, if that, after the incident.  I guess that I was in the news and in the paper all over the world.  People also made tons of internet memes with the picture of me jumping it was great.   However, fame comes with a price.  Because of what I did, I have to spend time in juvenile detention and my parents have to pay for the security guards’ hospital bill.