The Rollercoaster of Life | Teen Ink

The Rollercoaster of Life

By jmoran20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
jmoran20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Today is the day. The greatest day of my life. In less than one hour, I will be walking down the aisle. The man that I am marrying today has a soul as pure as the diamond on the ring that he gave me. It sure is a pretty ring. I am twenty-three years old, but everybody here in Ohio gets married pretty early in their life. I cannot wait to marry the love of my life, but there is one problem with marrying him. My best friend hates him. Loathes him. I have no idea why. She supports me in everything that I do, but she told me that she will never forgive me if I marry him. When he proposed, I said yes without her feelings in mind. As the months went on during my engagement and wedding planning, my best friend and I grew apart. I figured that if she cannot give me a reason to stay away from him, then I will not stay away. Oh no! The church music is playing. Here we go!

Wow. I have not written in this thing in too long. As I read my last entry, I realized how much has changed. That day was supposed to be the best day of my life. Now it might have been the worst. I do not know why I am writing in this diary. I guess when I was younger I thought that it would make me feel better to let my feelings out. It still works even though I am forty-four years old. Last time I wrote I was young, happy, and full of life. Now, I spend my days packing my things preparing to live a life without a husband. I will never forgive him. He does not deserve me anymore. I am leaving tomorrow, and I am leaving my memories behind in this sad and empty house. Will another twenty years go by until I write again? I guess we have to wait and see.

Well, I answered the question I had twenty years ago. After that day, I had no free time to sit down and write in a journal. I am miserable. My life is not what I had hoped it would have been when I was first getting married. I had everything going for me. I was young, beautiful, full of life, and most of all, I was happy. Now I am sixty-eight years old, living in a complex full of people I do not know. I would live somewhere else, but where would I go? I have not spoken to my ex since the divorce. Sometimes I feel guilty for not keeping in touch with him. Every once and awhile I feel like I should call him and see how he has been ever since he ruined our lives. I think all those things, and then I always realize that hearing his voice is not worth my time. He is not worth anything to me anymore

I cannot believe it has only been a month since I wrote here last. I tend to go two decades or so between each entry. Anyways, the oddest thing happened to me today. I was eating my lunch in a cafe, minding my own business, and a woman came and sat next to me. It was my best friend. After my wedding day, I thought I would never see her again. She asked me how my husband was. I told her every single detail of my life from the moment we last saw each other. When she asked for the reason of my divorce, I told her the truth. He was cheating on me. Cheating on me with someone that I worked with. It went on for almost three years, and I had no clue. If I had not checked his emails that night, we would still be together today. My life would not have fallen apart. When I told her about my divorce, she did not look surprised. She told me the reason why we have not seen each other in almost fifty years. Before I got married, he cheated on me with my best friend, and nobody told me. That is the reason why she abandoned our friendship. She had to make a choice to let me live a life with my husband, or ruin both my relationship and our friendship by telling me. It would not have mattered now that my marriage is ruined anyway. I forgave her for what she did without thinking. She was shocked. A normal person would have walked away and never spoken to her again, yet I am not what many would call a normal person. I cannot lose another friend. She may be the only one I have left.

I feel like my old self again. My head finally feels clear. I have not felt this way since I was twenty-three years old. As of a few months ago, I felt like my life had no purpose. I felt like the only good times in my life were the ones I had when I was a teenager. I never thought I would be happy again. Finding a familiar face in one of the lowest points in my life brought me back to when I had it all. I thank my best friend every day for pulling me out of the darkness. I thank her for reminding me that all you need is one person to make your life have a purpose. In these last two months, I may no longer be young, but I am beautiful, full of life, and I am happy.

This was inspired by a prompt that was given to me asking my visions of being a senior citizen, and I took the prompt and turned it into this piece.