Bugs

She walked on down the street, and she continued like this only for ten minutes before the car pulled up next to her.  The wolf popped his head out of the window and hollered out, “Hey sweetie, how’s it going?”  Innocently, she told him it was going fine.  “Where ya headed?” he asked.  She told him that she was only on her way home from school.  “Do you need a ride?”  She told him what her parents had told her.  “That’s very smart,” he said, “I just thought I would ask, I would hate to see you take a long walk home in the rain.”  She looked curiously up into the gray sky--heavy clouds stopped the sunshine from pouring through; rain was definitely close, but she wasn’t too far from home now.  She told him so, and that she would be alright, but thanks anyway.  “What’s that you’ve got in your hand?” he asked.  She told him it was just some candy he had gotten from halloween.  “You know what they put in that, dontchu?”  She shook her head.  “Bugs.” he said, and bared his teeth.  He noticed a woman was watching him from across the street then, and he drove away.