Role Models | Teen Ink

Role Models

January 30, 2017
By NatalieH77 BRONZE, Conneaut Lake , Pennsylvania
NatalieH77 BRONZE, Conneaut Lake , Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stars don't shine without darkness


I decided that I  would write a story of how Sara became a role model to her friends. It was about late November On a frigid snowy evening, and Sara, Von, Finn and Lilly were going to their boys basketball game. The game was in the first quarter about 2 minutes left on the clock. No one had scored yet but both teams had a very good offensive and defensive team. They were starting to get hungry they could feel their stomachs growling at them like an angry lion. They decided they would go to the concession stand but they  all wanted to watch the game until our team had scored.
It was getting close to the end of the second quarter when number 25 rebounds the ball, rushes down the court passes the ball to number 11 then he goes in for a layup, misses, then number 25 puts it back up for 2 points. Now, the 2nd quarter has ended and it's half time. The 4 friends decide to go and get some snacks now. So everyone is briskly walking  to the concession stand and Von pays with a crinkled $20 bill. The cashier hands him a flat $20 bill back on accident instead of a $5 bill. Von wants to keep it but Sara doesn't think that is the right thing to do.
All 4 children go out into the long dark hallway to talk with each other if they should give the bill back. Von and Finn say
“No keep it”,  but Sara and Lilly say
“give it back.”
They can't decide whether or not to hand back in and get what they really are supposed to own.
Sara decides to ask Von for the bill. She takes it back up to the concession stand and asks to trade a 20 dollar bill for a 5. When the cashier asks why, Sara then says, “Well you gave my friend Von a $20 bill back when you should have given him a 5 he didn't want to give it back but I told him that that wasn't right. So, i decided to come back and get the change that he really should have been given.”The cashier replied,
“Well, thanks very much for returning this money. I will give you a free pretzel and drink for your good deed.”
“You didn't have to do that, all i was doing was returning the money that you gave my friend on accident.”
Sara walks back to where Von and Finn were standing and tells them that they earned a free pretzel and drink. They are so excited because they get free food. They have never gotten free food before. Von and Finn both say at the same time, “You are such a good role model!!”
  “Well thanks, i was only doing what was right.” Sara exclaimed blushing. 


The author's comments:

At school, we were required to make up a story about a role model. I decided to make mine about a group of friends at a sporting events. Really look into this, very interesting.