One Bullet | Teen Ink

One Bullet

By DiaryofaDeadman BRONZE, League City, Texas
DiaryofaDeadman BRONZE, League City, Texas

One bullet in the chamber.
One last shot.
Your life depends on it.
You look around; wondering what happened to the life you use to love. What happened to your innocence? You never were like this, no thoughts even about this; yet here you are, silently screaming for help. No one can hear. Screaming aimlessly, you’re never heard. You turn the corner aiming your gun. No one there.
You sigh in relief.
Walking down the hallway you drop your gun. Wondering is it life or death? Do I kill or get killed? You check room after room. No one in sight.
Then it happens.
She comes running at you. Gun in hand you aim it. You remind yourself, kill or be killed. You take a deep breath and shoot. She drops to the ground, a rag doll. With shaking hands you lower the gun.
It’s over, you won, or so you thought.
Your mind toys with you. You just took a life it says. You’re a murder.  You can’t help but believe what your mind says. Sweat drips down your neck. You hear shouts and gun shots coming your way. You’re out of ammunition, you can’t do anything but run. You’re a coward if you run. Your mind says. Looking around desperately you can’t find any weapon. Run you coward, it’s what you’re best at anyway. You push the thought out of your head. You won’t think about this again. It’s the reason why you signed up; the reason why you do what’s right, but is it really? You’re training is useless now. You turn and run. Pulse picking up speed, your eyes dart from side to side looking for a way out. You find an exit, running faster towards the exit.
You’re free.