The Vase | Teen Ink

The Vase

The Vase
It was about 98 degrees outside in the middle of July, the perfect day to go garage saling. There was a city wide garage sale going on, and Cindy knew she’d find some good deals. Cindy was your average middle aged stay at home mother, who loved couponing and smothering her family with attention. Her three kids were out for the day with her husband at the water park. Her loving husband knew that the city wide garage sale was going on today and thought that Cindy deserved some time to herself after all she has done for the family. 
Cindy was excited that she could have the day to herself, as much as she loved her family she needed the time alone. Garage saling was just as fun for Cindy as couponing was but a lot less work because she didn’t have to cut out all the tiny pieces of paper.
Cindy got into her 2014 Honda Odyssey; she had the nicest minivan out of all the other moms in the neighborhood. It didn’t even take Cindy five minutes of driving before she saw her first garage sale and immediately pulled over to go inside and look. The house was an older looking Victorian mini mansion that looked old but also like it had been taken care of.  This hinted that Cindy would find some good stuff. The bigger the houses the better the finds; every experienced garage sailer knew that.
There were four large tables lined up next to each other covered with all different kinds of things from clothes and golf clubs, to even children’s toys. Something had already caught Cindy’s eye; the sun was reflecting off of the object that almost looked like a silver vase.
Cindy walked up to it and started to pick it up and look at it. It was a beautiful silver color, and it had a lid on the top but she wasn’t quite sure why. She did think to herself that this vase would be beautiful to put flowers in;she imagined it sitting in their living room right on the bookshelf for everyone to see. Cindy found the owner of the garage sale and purchased the vase for a low price of only 10 dollars.
As she was getting back in her car, Cindy felt a huge wave of excitement and couldn’t wait to go home to show her family. After hitting about 10 more garage sales, Cindy thought she had bought a good load. She had purchased a used bicycle for her son Matthew, 2 American girl dolls for her daughter Aubrie, an Easy Bake Oven for her other daughter Lindsey, and a somewhat used set of golf clubs for her dear husband Jim. After making sure she had bought something for everyone in her family, she decided it was time to return home.The heat had gotten the best from her and she was ready to take a long nap.
When Cindy arrived home she noticed her family had still not returned yet ,and it was the perfect time for a nap without the ruckus of her lovely children.  She placed the vase in the middle of the bookshelf, and it looked just as beautiful as she thought it would, she then plopped down on the couch and immediately fell asleep.
Cindy woke up to a shrilling cry and looked for the source of the noise, she recognized the scream as one from her middle child Aubrie who was 13. As she was getting up to go to Aubrie, she noticed the vase missing from the bookshelf but didn’t have time to stop and look for it. She saw her daughter sitting on the ground in a pile of mysterious grey dust and the vase without the lid on it in Aubrey's hands. Behind her she could hear the rest of her family gathering to see what the commotion had been. That was when it all suddenly hit her, it wasn’t a vase at all…… it was an urn with someone else’s ashes in it.