Chaos in Coltenham | Teen Ink

Chaos in Coltenham

January 13, 2017
By Anna.Birman BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Anna.Birman BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chaos in Coltenham
The rain began to unexpectedly pour down heavily over the sensitive rooftops. This was the biggest rainfall of the year, and no one knew how to go about it. The small town had faced plenty of little hour long drizzles in the past, but none quite like this. This might have actually been the biggest rainfall of the history of the town. Just by sprinting from their cars to their houses, the poor people of the town got drenched in the cold, heavy rain. The beautiful streak of low seventy-degree weather and sunshine that the town was reveling in for weeks now was suddenly gone, and it had the people not knowing where to turn. This town was known for its outdoor lifestyle and the rain did not fit in at all.
The gray skies started to take a huge damper on what was supposed to be a regular Sunday afternoon. Sundays were everyone’s favorite days in Coltenham. The town was small, but had plenty of attractions for locals and tourists alike to enjoy. Some families enjoyed biking down the rugged boardwalk together, others dressed in their best clothes for afternoon church services, others went to Miss Penny’s for a classic triple deck cheeseburger and the gorgeous ocean view, and the rest enjoyed the beautiful nature of the town from the comfortable seats of their front porches with a cup of freshly brewed sweet tea in hand. No matter what the plans for Type equation here.the day, Sundays were the day that everyone looked forward to, but with the downpour, people had to pull their bikes in, churches had to reschedule the sermon, Penny had to evacuate the grill immediately in fear of flooding, and the front porchers had to move their sweet tea indoors.
As people began to lock up their doors and pull in their cars, the heaviness of the rain began to transcend into the people. Coltenham was known for its kind and accepting people, but with the tension caused by the recent town meeting, the little town was highly on edge. Though citizens were divided based on their beliefs on the town plant issue, they knew that they couldn’t let the issue break the town’s lifelong friendships. Up until this point, they had it under control, but with the intemperate storms, families began to fight like never before. Penetrating through the destruction and noise of the downpour were brash voices of pure anger screaming at each other. The town known for its peace and acceptance was now just the opposite, and it was all due to those gray clouds of vengeance.
With every passing hour, the sky grew darker and darker. The depressing, stormy sky contrasted deeply with the bright, gold rays of lightning that would pop up every few seconds. The old palm trees that had existed for decades were being ripped away from their roots, and some began to topple over houses. The oceans didn’t hold back for long, and soon Penny’s was actually worth a penny, for it was destroyed in the blink of an eye. The big dipper, which the town children would stay up past their bedtimes to see every starry night was now out of sight, and it took the magic of the town with it. Everything that the town used to be known for was now being stolen away, almost as if the storm clouds had an agenda of their own.
In this year of 2016, the United States had many large-scale advancements. They had high tech phones, disease-curing medications, brilliant robots, but still nothing was yet invented to stop the strongest force of all: Mother Nature. Nothing could stop the skies from causing such chaos, and people were terrified of what this ruthless enemy was capable of. The citizens of Coltenham didn’t know, but the small town was getting a big break in the media. The people of Coltenham knew it was the worst storm in the town’s history, but what they didn’t know was that it was also the worst storm in the United States’ history, and news networks had all the horrifying details. Families knew they had to make amends before it was too late, and so they came together and prayed that they would make it through whatever was yet to come.