Absolutely Nothing | Teen Ink

Absolutely Nothing

January 13, 2017
By allisonreinhardt BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
allisonreinhardt BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“What’s this?” Tate asked herself, shuffling through the various medical papers that the pet clinic received each day.
“I have no idea,” Jason replied. “It doesn’t look like a form we would usually get here. Someone must have left it by mistake.”
“Well, I’ll handle it,” Tate mumbled.
“No, I’ll help you figure it out,” said Jason, rushing over to Tate. He scanned the top of the paper. “Top secret?”
“It must be from the government. I’ve read about these kind of papers before. They’re used to outline government plans in a succinct way so that everyone who is working on the project knows what’s going on.”
With this newfound information, Jason skimmed the rest of the page. “This is awful!” he exclaimed. Tate started to look fully at the words on this odd government form.
“They’re going to inject pets to make sure they die sooner than people do?”
“No, look at the date.”
“1927? They’ve been doing this since 1927?”
“I guess so.”
“We should probably do something about this,” Tate replied hesitantly. “I don’t know what we would do, and it might be risky, but this is pretty important.”
“I think so, too,” said Jason. “We definitely need to spread this information to as many people as we can. We need to stop this.”
“You can let your clients here know. They are all obviously passionate about pets. Maybe they’ll start a protest group or something.”
“No, we should start a protest group. We should be in charge since we discovered all of this after all.”
“I don’t know about that. I’d rather not be someone on the government’s bad side.”
“I’ve got it! You don’t have to protest in a group with us, but you can definitely contribute. You’re an amazing writer. Use your writing skills. Convince them to stop this.”
“So, you’re saying I should blackmail them or something?”
“Yes! That’s perfect! You can keep your identity a secret while still being a huge part of our plan. Imagine if this works, then we’ll be all over the news! Well, I’ll be all over the news.” Jason rambled, making Tate laugh.
“And I’ll be right here, like an undercover spy. You know, there’s this really good spy book I read a few years ago. Maybe it will help us.”
Jason laughed this time. “You know we don’t live in a book, right?”
“Yeah, but I like to pretend sometimes,” Tate replied.
“Well, leave the pretending for another day. We need to get to work!”
“You need to get to work. I, on the other hand, have nothing to do with this project at all.” Jason and Tate laughed and laughed until they finally decided that they actually did need to get to work.
“I’ll go get started on some fliers for all of my clients, then. And you’ll be here doing nothing?” Jason asked with a smile.
“Absolutely nothing,” Tate smiled back, pulling out her notebook and her favorite pen.