The deceiving light at the beginning of a tragedy | Teen Ink

The deceiving light at the beginning of a tragedy

December 14, 2016
By EricaMadley SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
EricaMadley SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

For Braedon, it was a terrible morning. Since he had to walk to the bus around 6:30 every morning, he could barely see. The sun wasn’t even close to coming up. All that led him to his bus stop were the few foggy, flickering streetlights. On this particular morning, it started to downpour from the transitioning sky, as the storm from the previous night continued. He couldn’t stop thinking about the news he received the night before. It felt like the memories from the past couple of months were haunting him. Following him with the bittersweet taste they gave him. Braedon thought back.
He strutted into the empty, echoey house, he stood in the lit doorway, with the light wrapping around him only defining a silhouette. He continued to walk forward and flick on the light switch to his left, while making his way to his bed. It was like any other normal day, but Braedon felt some kind of lightness within him. This was right after school, so streaks of natural light made it through the trees just outside his bedroom window, and found themselves sprawled out across the floor, the artificial light was unnecessary. A warm breeze made a beeline for his room coming straight from the outside. As the door creaked open, Braedon’s parents made their way into the house. Braedon’s father, John, stepped into his doorway and flicked off his light in one sudden motion. The streaks of light peeking through the trees were now uninterrupted and gave his room a welcoming glow. Braedon then realized his father step aside to let his short mother waddle into his room. They both spoke in unison,
“We have some news.” Braedon’s mother rubbed the stomach of her blinding yellow shirt, as the two of them flashed their smiles. Braedon was at a loss for words. All he thought to do was get up and engage in a group hug.
A lighting bolt struck. It seemed not like a light at the end of a tunnel, but a misleading light at the beginning of a tragedy. He was now sitting on the bus freezing cold, and soaking wet. He felt like crying. He hadn’t noticed this before, but he was wearing all black. He winced, trying to keep the tears in. Although it was further into the day, it somehow got darker. The darkness seemed everywhere as the bus stumbled down the road. The darkness took him back to the previous night.
The storm had just started. The thunder sounded as though it would tear apart Braedon’s house. He was home alone, awaiting the arrival as his parents. Suddenly, headlights flashed in the driveway. Braedon’s mother waddled in arching her back and crying. His father had a grim reeper type of look to him. Braedon’s throat felt like it was closing.
“What happened?” He managed to get out. No immediate response was reciprocated.
Braedon was brought back to reality by a few delinquent boys yelling from the back of the bus. He didn’t want to think think back to the words that came out of his mother’s mouth next. He searched his mind for a happy memory until he found one. He thought long and hard.
It was the dead of summer. Braedon and his father were carrying in furniture, paint, tools, and much more. They were glowing with sweat. Braedon’s eyes suddenly lit up when his mother came out carrying large glasses of bright lemonade. He found an area shaded from the sun and took a giant swig.
“I love the yellow color we got to go with the room.” His mother spoke, sounding bright. Since she had just woken up and it was 1:00 in the afternoon. His father spoke.
“I think the little boy or girl is gonna love it too.” They all smiled, although Braedon and his father were exhausted. Braedon stepped into the overwhelming sunlight once more and got back to work, before he knew his mother would ask him to.
Braedon suddenly opened his eyes as the bus jolted forward. He veered out to his right and saw the giant black letters stating “RIVER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL”. He didn’t want to be here. All he was thinking about before was gone. Now all that was in his head were the last words he heard his mother speak last night.
“The doctor…” His mother managed to cough out between sniffles, “The doctor did the ultrasound…” She coughed while sobbing, “And he said there was no heartbeat.” Braedon’s mother cried harder, and Braedon tried to hold back his vomit.
“You’re not going to have a little brother or sister” His father murmured, “There is no more baby,” He then clarified. Braedon ran straight to his pitch black bedroom. He slammed the door, letting the darkness circle around him.
The darkness did the same as it did the night before. Swallowing him whole and he took his descent off the bus.