Tacos, Basketball, and Broken Ankles | Teen Ink

Tacos, Basketball, and Broken Ankles

By JonnyByrnes BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
JonnyByrnes BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

I picked the ball up and threw it over. To decide who started with the globe, we shot free throws. He would always miss left and clang it off the side of the rim. My shot was too powerful; and neither of us could make it. The next time it was my turn to shoot, I took an extra second to adjust. I pounded the ball down off of the pavement and back up into my hand, preparing for my shot. The wind was blowing in my face and the sun glared from the left, making this shot even harder. I pulled the ball up in front of me and above my head, jumping as I did so. My feet left the ground and I felt my grip on the ball loosen as it flew towards the hoop. This time, I had aimed my shot the smallest bit higher, giving it more arc. The ball sailed straight at the hoop, and landed almost perfectly in the center of the basket, making the satisfying swish sound. Smirking, I moved to the edge of the driveway and threw the ball over to my opponent. 
“You ready to get destroyed?” I taunted.
“Only if you’re ready to get your ankles broken!”
He tossed the ball back, and I gripped the rubber ball in my left hand. He was left handed, so I knew I should drive to his right side.  I started dribbling, already knowing what I was going to do. I pushed with my right hand and bounced the ball across my body and into my left. As soon as the ball hit the ground, he reached out with his arm to tip the ball away. Predicting this, I had already started reaching across my body with my right arm. I caught it with my right hand and pulled it back to my right side once again, leaving him off balance and falling forward. I dribbled forward as fast as I could, passing him as he fell. I bounded as I neared the rim, and bounced the ball off of the backboard and into the net. He looked up at me from the ground, red-faced with embarrassment.
“Who was gonna break whose ankles now?” I jeered. “Your turn.”
“I hate you so much right now,” He complained.
I picked up the ball and passed it over. The brisk wind was blowing in my face, cooling me down like Nature’s A/C. He started dribbling, more hesitant of coming toward me. He began pushing toward my right, sticking his hand into my side. I saw him shift his weight and spin around on his right foot, spraying rocks towards me. I reached around his back and tipped the ball away from behind him, danced around him and picked the ball up once more. Holding the ball in my hand, damp with sweat, I anticipated my next move. I shoved off with my right foot, slipping on the loose gravel. Somehow, I kept my dribble while falling to the ground, and managed to stand back up. It felt like there was about a thousand rocks in my shoes, digging into my feet like I was standing on spikes. I lowered my shoulder and forced myself toward the basket while pushing into my rival. The rubber ball bounced hard back into my hands. Heaving myself away from the basket, I straightened my body out. I hopped with my left foot and pushed my knee out. The ball flicked away from my hand, feeling it leave my middle finger last. The basketball bounced off of the right side of the rim, hit the backboard, and rolled around the edge of the border. It spun on top of the metal, and finally fell into the net.
“Yes!” I yelled. “You can’t stop me.”
“Okay,” He said sarcastically. “You know I’m just letting you win, right? I could beat you any day of the week.”
He took the ball from the ground and brought it to the edge of the driveway.
“Yeah okay,” I replied. “Do you smell tacos?”
“Yeah I thin— “
We heard a door open and looked over to the house.
“Jonny, David, it’s time for dinner!”
“We continuing after?” I questioned.
“Oh for sure man. But I’ll give you a heads up, I’m 3000 times better after I eat.”
“Yeah,” I laughed. “I believe you.”

I was inspired to write this because of the one versus ones me and my sister's boyfriend had