Following your Dreams | Teen Ink

Following your Dreams

By ckremer4 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
ckremer4 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

(A 35-year-old young man named Marcus Stevenson has always dreamt of becoming a doctor.  During his first year of Medical School, he got a call from his mother (who is his best friend).  She tells him that she has cancer and isn’t doing well.  The doctor told her that she doesn’t have much longer.  Ten years pass since the death of his mother.  Marcus is living in an apartment in Seattle.  He is alone, and only leaves his house to get food.  Marcus only talks to his cat Roody and his mom’s ghost.  His mom talks with Marcus and he gets the feeling that she wants him to continue his dream of becoming an Oncologist)
Hi Mom,
I know that I haven’t been making you proud.  Just ever since you’ve been gone, it has been hard for me to get back to the real world.  You completed me and you made me into the man that I am today.  Beside the fact that I haven’t left my apartment since you have passed; I mean I go out to get food and a few items that I need here and there.  I have been watching “The Big Bang Theory” many of times.  It’s the only thing that I like to watch.  I sometimes wish that I had more cats to talk to.  [Looking over at the cat laying on the window sill] Roody is getting old and I think that he might be joining you up there soon.  If he leaves me, then I really will have no one.  You always taught me to stay positive and to keep my head held high.  I find that really hard to do these past years.  You were always the one who pushed me to succeed and to be the best I can be.  I am glad that I can still talk to you and tell you about my day.  Even though my days are always the same.  I don’t know how much longer I will be living like this.  I hope I can find happiness and become successful just like you wish.  Mom, your last words to me were… “Marcus, I want you to know that I love you and that whatever you do, keep going, never give up and…” [loud beep of the monitor].  As I held your hand tight, I was immediately taken away by the doctors and you were gone.  I don’t like to think about that moment very much but I do like to think about the words that you said to me. [wiping the tears rushing down his face].  I don’t know why I am waiting until now to act upon what you said to me.  The words were strong and I need to make you happy.  Mama, I am sorry for letting you down.  I think I am going back to medical school to pursue my dream of becoming an Oncologist.  I am going to do all I can to try and stop what took you away from me.  Roody and I miss you Mom, we love you so much.  Not a day goes by that I don’t think about you.  I will talk to you tomorrow.  Thank you for helping me realize what I need to do with the rest of my life.  Thank you for encouraging me to become a better man.     

I would like for the reader to get a message from this piece.  To follow your dreams and to never give up, no matter what.